beehive scale

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tbelo, Feb 26, 2017.

1. tbelo

tbelo New Member

Why bother constructing your own sms beehive scale and not just buy a reliable and cheap one like the one from www.zygi.gr from only 210 euros ?

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't considered needing a scale. hmm

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Sales troll?

I watched a "Master Beekeeper" type one summer, and I am convinced a scale can tell you a great deal for researchers and academicians. The masterkeep's two scales were on a grant from the state ag college to gather data on fan driven hive cooling systems.

Most folks here more like M.A.S.H. units of beekeeping when the buildup and flow are on, and with multiples of hives have little time for expensive (and fragile) toys.

4. tbelo

tbelo New Member

Thanks for the info.
    Anyway, transfer costs to US is 30 euro

5. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I apologize if that came across harsh, tbelo. Data like daily hive weight-- especially when you are experimenting with different techniques-- is fascinating and ultimately necessary to research. Most of us here just don't have the luxury to deal with it.

While I have a few mature hives that throw off $500 a season, with annual hive loss/turnover running 30-50% in the US, most do not, and some are doing well just to establish for the next year. If I am going to put a scale under a hive (much less several), someone else is going to have to buy it. Exchange rate this morning is 1us:1.06er.

6. tbelo

tbelo New Member

Here beekeepers (with up to 1000 bee-hives) spread bee-hives to various locations to find the more productive area.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

how many pesticides and herbicides are used in Greece, Tbelo?