1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Emil Kaluza and I am a 61 y/o male stroke survivor. I enjoy
keeping bees and find their antics comforting. I have a 16 hive beeyard at
my house in La Grange, Texas, where I also keep some cows and goats. My
local beekeeping club is Central Texas Beekeepers out of Brenham, Texas.
We had a terrible drought here last summer and I lost half my hives, but have
added 8 and caught several swarms. I am an experimenter and have some
double deep NUCS with supers, a modified Tanzanian combo lonhive with 15
modified Langstroth frames and 15 top bar frames. I am trying to set up a
two queen hive, if I can figure out the box placement and the space needed
between the queens. Been working with bees since the fifties with my grand-
uncle and recently got back into more than a garden hive. Hope to learn from
you folks and get to know other beeks.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi Emil, glad you came. Bees are really comforting, and all of us, beekeepers, like to experiment.
You will learn some good things on this Forum, and I'm sure we can learn from you too. Welcome :hi:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Welcome Emil. Your post was very helpful. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with another forum member (who will probably sign on soon) and was trying to remember where the seed store is that sells hubam clover. All I could come up with was "between here and San Antonio".

It is La Grange! Thanks. :smile:

Walt

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Welcome Emil :hi:

Glad you found us, a pretty good place to pick up information and have fun at the same time.
Ask questions when you have 'em and contribute when you can! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Nothing like apitherapy to overcome difficulties. But I'm sure a lot of will-power is involved too. Welcome to the forum. As to two queen hives, I tried it once with an excluder below and above a middle separating super betweeen the twow queens. Can't say it proved to be anything very productive, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Welcome Emil. Your post was very helpful. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with another forum member (who will probably sign on soon) and was trying to remember where the seed store is that sells hubam clover. All I could come up with was "between here and San Antonio".

It is La Grange! Thanks. :smile:

Walt
I was going to say it was the town with the song about it. But after I thought about it a minute, there's a lot of Texas towns with songs.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
don't let Emil fool you... he is not a novice and I do very much like his experimenting ways.

La Grange is of course the original site of 'The Best Little Whore House in Texas' plus the title of ZZ Tops song 'La Grange'.... ZZ tops home town is often listed as Brenham, TX where the Central Texas Bee Club meets and is also the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.

glad you found the site and glad you posted a link on the Clubs Face book page.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
welcome aboard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts