Beekeeper arrested in NYC

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Medic1259, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I don't think the heat had as much to do with it as they say.
    Bees nest in an attic through the summer heat without the help of law enforcement.

I think this was just an unfortunate chain of events and poor judgement on timing for the bee instructor.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Poor judgement on the bee haver with bad press for the bees.

He really should have known better than to leave his bees in the cheap plastic boxes instead of the metal ones?!?!? Any body keeping bees in a metal nuc??

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like a careless beek meets overzealous cops.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

If there is a bright side to this story, better to have the bees escape while car parked, then when the car is being driven, few beekeepers drive with their gear on. Multiple stings could distract most drivers. And to have a traffic accident, AND then have a truly irate colony of bees on the warpath in the middle of a heavily populated are --talk about the potential for bad press. Gentleman is fairly stupid for a teacher.
    Barry

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

I bet they would say they handcuffed him to protect themselves from the bee teacher who was wielding a weapon - his hive tool.

What a crock! This is why America has a higher % of people in prison that any other country in the world.

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Generalizations about cops tries to make me a cynical person toward the public but I try to resist the urge. There are bad teachers, doctors, politicians, pretty much any other profession but I don't personally feel the few bad eggs ruin the whole barrel...contrary to the old saying, "one spoiled apple ruins the whole barrel."

A fractured and segmented justice system is much more the blame for bricks and mortar in this country as far as I am concerned. On the contrary, I had a car thief who caused three injuries to officers a month ago in my jurisdiction was released on his own recognizance because the right paperwork was not filed....where is the justice and overcrowding of cells there? Good policemen make good arrest. However, there is surely more to this story. I would not take anyone into custody for violating a city ordinance and neither for disorderly conduct....unless, the offender was being belligerent or a royal pain in the rear. I would cite them to appear. There are great reporters but sometimes I have noticed what I read about my own cases is 3rd party information and completely false and sensationalized. What I read in the paper almost appears as if it came from a very bad game of telephone where the first word was apple and by the time it gets to the end of the line, it's gorilla, ha! Maybe this keep became verbally loud or arumentative,,,,who knows?

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The "Times" article: "In his 18 years with the police, Officer Planakis said he believed it was the first time a beekeeper was taken to the precinct."
    Dave: "
    However, there is surely more to this story. I would not take anyone into custody for violating a city ordinance and neither for disorderly conduct....unless, the offender was being belligerent or a royal pain in the rear. "
    Efmesch: Newspapers publish what they want and even the "Times" doesn't always provide us with ALL the news that's fit to print. There is a lot of "selective" publishing of news stories.
    :sad:

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

11. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Now I look at it as not so much as disorderly.. but crulety .. if it was a dog, cat ,bird ,even goldfish .. in the car ...so I do see where he was wrong.

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

Blueblood I hear you .... Had dinner with my neighbor who is in Sherrifs dept ( and a beek) , and he says much the same...

..... But there are a lot of over zealous LEO's out there.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

for some odd reason multiple nucs in the back of a benz is a bit odd to me. whatever happened to bee keepers in their smelly old trucks?

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Tec, I have been running around in my BMW coupe with nucs, ha! Must be a German auto thing....I am looking for another truck though.

Zulu, you are right about over zealous leo's. We know who are own our and it drives us nuts. There are always 1 or 2 for each department. I don't know how many times over the years I have apologized to a citizen for the actions of another brother. Most of us try to employ a little common sense in policing. I could have arrested several folks during my career but decided to use the power of communication and show a little mercy and understanding instead of arresting for trifling offenses . They know I mean it when I tell them I will arrest next time. But, on the flip side, I have curried some favor with them in the future if I ever need their help with locating someone in their neighborhood or literally need them if I am getting my butt whooped, they are much more apt to assisting me.

15. bee stung

bee stung New Member

why did he not take the nucs were ever they were going before going to his class ????? I always drop the girls off were there going ,, have never left them setting in the car so I could do other things ,, if I need to eat its a drive through ..

16. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

medic,
    he was wrong.....bees trapped in a vehicle sweltering hot...? i don't care what 'mickey's' excuses were reported in this article. equipment failiure??? unfortunate he said??? 3rd generation beekeeper?! my opinion, shouldn't even be keeping bees let alone be the president of a club?! his rhetoric is B.S. this was HIS error and stupidity, and i wouldn't call it an error, i would call it more than that, and i don't know i'd even call him a beekeeper....myself i would rip his right arm off and beat him into next year with it. very unfortunate for the bees, but not unfortunate for him. these are the types of incidents for cities to ban bees.

btw all,
    on this one, and as to what dave has said
    cops or no overzealous cops......
    and more to the story or not.....hmmmm bees in a hot car, you decide......

18. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

River , I agree .. like I said if it were a dog in the car and not bees it would be considered crule not disordly...

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:thumbsup:

20. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Funny thing the Beekeeper cop who cleaned up the mess and the orginal keeper who made the mess will both be speaking one of the NYC clubs this month .. Im working or I would go and see what is said