Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beekeeper creates coat of living bees - in pictures

It began as a bit of fun and became a personal challenge for one semi-naked man and approaching half a million bees. Crowds gathered in Chongqing, southwest China this week to watch - at a distance of 20 metres - as She Ping’s wife and five fellow beekeepers covered the 34-year-old in a “bee dress†made of 456,500 of the insects. It weighed 45kg or more.
"I first did this at 22, just for fun and out of curiosity. Later on, I would put on the bees just for the sake of making people believe I sell actual real honey," he told the Chongqing Evening Post. "The last time I did this, I put on a total of 15 beehives on my body, but today I'm breaking my own record [with 28].â€
The beekeeper said he was “hot, suffocating and nervous†after his 40 minute ordeal and had been stung more than 20 times. His wife fears he will be badly hurt if he continues the stunts. But She added: “The only thought I had was to challenge and overcome myself."

She Ping smokes a cigarette as he gets ready for an attempt to cover his body with bees. Photograph: China Daily/Reuters
Assistants get the bees ready. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
Assistants use burning incense and cigarettes to drive away from the face of She Ping.
She Ping is almost completely covered with bees. Photograph: Imaginechina/Rex
She Ping shakes off bees after an attempt to cover his body with bees. Photograph: China Daily/Reuters
The bees swarm over She Ping. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
A bit more incense to keep the bees from his face. Photograph: Imaginechina/Rex
She Ping covered with a swarm of bees. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
She Ping is totally covered with 45.65kg of bees. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
She Ping shows the bee stings on his body afterwards. Photograph: Imaginechina/REX

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ga...eeper-creates-coat-of-living-bees-in-pictures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTrqCvWxqUA

·
Registered
728 Posts
I hate these reports. His wife was right ---- a stunt.

I hope he got well paid by the media. I pity the poor lost and confused bees ---- what a waste.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What lost and confused bees? I did not realize they took the hive out of the area.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
the hives are along the edge behind him in a couple of photos as long as they were there long enough previously and had oriented they will be fine and find their wayback to their hive. If not they will find their way back to a hive. It is no more stressful on the bees than shaking bees into a shaker box for filling packages or mating nucs.
Personalty I don't care to ever do it, why put the bees through the stress just to show off a publicity stunt.

·
Registered
728 Posts
A few years ago, Kin Flottum attended a slightly similar event. He published a report in Bee Culture. The display, a beard I think, was instigated by a TV production team. It formed part of a series about the unusual and freaky. I imagine that the China event was pushed by the media circus. I cannot imagine that a beekeeper would be doing such a thing for just his friends and neighbours.

In normal beekeeping, an inspection is done quickly and gently, with the keep knowing that the colony will take time to recover. In the BC article, the colonies had been specially prepared so that nurse bees were used for the cover. How do you think the coat of bees for the chap in China was made to stick ? Does Queen pheromone occur to anyone ? I pity the bees. Mucked about for the media and dosed in Queen pheromone.

The general public may regard beekeepers as odd folk who manage an animal that most people would run from. We spend our time educating the public as to the value of beekeeping and how it can be done without danger and hassle. I regret that the China stunt will not enhance our image but rather support the idea that we are a bunch of loonies.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If I was to preform a stunt that I never will I would pull the caped brood out of the colonies and stack the new queen less supers of capped brood up in the apiary so the older forage bees go back to the original location. in about 8 days to 10 days preform the stunt using young bees that have not developed their venom to full strength yet they are queen less so with you being covered with bee pheromones the bees will like to call you Mommy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts