Beekeeper psychology

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Jan 22, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I noted on another thread the statement "Why is it that most beeks are of a giving nature?" (G3farms)

I remember when I got hired as a transit operator they brought us into a room in groups of 8. We had to sit and watch a 2 hour video done by actors that played out all kinds of scenarios and after each one we would have to pick a response to that scenario. Now a more diverse group of folks you couldn't hope to meet. Two days later there were only 2 of us at the next stage. I often think about how or why they picked who they did. What did they see in our responses that made them pick us? What traits did we exibit that made us common prospects in the eyes of Transit? There was an impressive group of individuals to pick from.

So back to the point of this thread.
    What is it about us beeks that makes us common or similar as a group? Why would we chose to take up something that most folks balk at? Is it a desire to be outside the mainstream or are we all just a little weird?(I know my wife's response to that last one) Reading peoples posts leads me to believe we come from very diverse backgrounds and upbringings and yet we all somehow ended up here.

Maybe I am being too analitical ..............................maybe we all just like bees.

Perry

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Most just think I am different, it has always been that way. I do like the bees though and always have.

Most beeks that I have met are always willing to share their knowledge and most are of the giving nature. I know I have given away many swarms after I caught them, and even given away several complete hives less the bees. Gave away a big bee tree justthispast summer, even hauled it to the fellas house and helped set it up.

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I think I'd go with the "weird". :D

Walt

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

At the most recent North American Beekeeping Conference Larry Conner made the remarks (I took from an experience when he was a much younger fellow) in regards to the nature of beekeepers from an old southern gentlemen beekeeper statement that "beekeeper are loners". Larry made a comment that was turn on this statement which was 'beekeepers are people that enjoy working alone but are mostly quite sociable'. I liked that twist in the phase and fits most of the ones I have known.