Beekeeping as Religion

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by indypartridge, Feb 14, 2013.

1. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I've always thought that beekeeping had certain spiritual aspects (good for the soul), and could agree that the slow, deliberate movements were almost Zen-like. This group, however, takes it to a whole 'nother level:
    http://www.collegeofthemelissae.com/Home_Page.html

A few quotes from the site:

"We serve the bee in homage to the Earth. Through serving Apis Meliferra we are bringing Eden home. May it be so Forever."
    "Graduates of our two year program will be initiated into the Melissae and will have developed a deep understanding of the mystical relationship between the bee and human..."

Courses listed include:
    "Shamanic Beekeeping- and Bee Priestess Work.
    An introduction to connecting deeply with your personal guides and the consciousness of your hive."

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Ah.........well..........Um...........
    I think that ........
    Hmmmmmmm......

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

"action based magic" Now we all know what we have been doing wrong. Harry Potter wands anyone?

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I agree with Perry.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Serving Apis Meliferra as a religion? Hm.....

They do have a "Donate" button at the bottom of the opening page.:wink:

6. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I opened their website. That's a weird bunch of folks. Can you say hippie? Also, I made note of the fact that they teach politics. No, I don't believe beekeeping is a religion. harum scarum....

7. Omie

Omie Active Member

To each their own. As long as we all enjoy beekeeping and have the bees' wellbeing at heart.

I confess I'm an old hippie myself, and the bees and nature often strike me as spiritually inspiring, more so than, say, a traffic jam, clipping my toenails, or my laundry tumbling around in the dryer. :)

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Omie:

Bees are "spiritually inspiring" to me also. The thought that this creature can take nectar and pollen from natures sources and at the same time make nature better through pollination is a miracle of evolution. The honey bee represents ecological perfection. If bees don't tug at your heart strings you are too grizzled.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:lol:
    ok, i have a friend who is still a hippie....did anyone read the program overview? i had too, i saw this:

**PAYMENT BUTTON**

then i read as far as this:
    "The College of the Melissae; Center for Sacred Beekeeping is a mystery school whose greatest mysteries are revealed during scientific inquiry...."

i'll say mystery school.......in light hearted humor, i wonder what they are smoking......the bees or themselves?! :lol:

like gypsi says works for me! and omie, you have a good point, to each their own! :grin:

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Some people have a problem with defining some concepts properly, or understanding the true definition of something. Bees a religion?
    Sounds to me like Humbug. :rolling:

11. Omie

Omie Active Member

EF, maybe you are unknowingly a member of the religion of The Sacred Order of Grizzled Curmudgeons. lol

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"EF, maybe you are unknowingly a member of the religion of The Sacred Order of Grizzled Curmudgeons. lol "
    blink.gif .................:rotfl:

(ps, for some reason the smileys aren't working right)

LOL!!!

13. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

EF isn't grizzled. One has to let bad experiences dictate his behavior to be grizzled. Don't you remember that his cup is half full. Even more so, his cup runneth over. I think EF is one of the most optimistic people I have read on this forum.

I would have bet my soul that Omie was an old hippie. She is a close to nature gal that is suspicious of new technology. Especially agricultural technology. So am I. I remember pictures of Omie's hands. They were not the hands of a socialite. She is an innovator of using her tools at hand. I remember her drying something under a cover and using a lamp for a heat source. She is resourceful. She is a perfect fit for my world. She wants the bees to make their own way. She has all the earthy habits of the original hippies, but she differentiates herself from them by having a work ethic.

By the way, I have been reading in farm and ranch magazines that the latest innovations in farming have to do with bringing back the natural predators that live in the soil. It's a return to nature, and it is showing promising results.

14. Ray

Ray Member

If anybody is grizzled, it's ......... PerryBee, just look at the picture. Grizzled: sprinkled or streaked with gray.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well I must say beekeeping at least can be a pretty spiritual thing for me and still on many occasion I find myself pretty much in awe of the bees themselves.

16. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Hey Ray, you have grizzled and drizzles confused.:grin: PerryBee's hair is drizzled with gray.

17. Omie

Omie Active Member

Lazy S- thanks for the interesting viewpoint...I think! lol!

It's true, I'm suspicious of any technology that's put into use for the sole purpose of making higher profits regardless of harm to others or to our planet. We can't keep shooting ourselves in the foot by polluting and destroying the earth that supports us.
    But I love technology of other kinds though- in fact I just ordered an awesome new computer system last week...can't wait! :)

All this said, and even being an old hippy and all.... when i look at the original website link starting this thread all that comes to my mind is the old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted." I do find a kind of spirituality in bees and in my garden... but no traveling medicine show. ;)

18. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Omie:

Every thing I write about you is my honest appraisal of who you are. Needless to say, I think you are a great gal and a good contributor to our forum. I too am a naturalist and worry about the soil, air pollution in foreign countries and GROUND WATER in our country. I share your appetite for computer technology. High end computers have been the main tool of my trade for since about 1985.

I think most of our forum members have a spiritual relationship with bees. We sure don't keep bees for the profit.

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

can we all say Amen to what lazy shooter just said?

20. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what omie said " I do find a kind of spirituality in bees and in my garden... but no traveling medicine show"
    (LOL on the traveling medicine show!)

and tec: "well I must say beekeeping at least can be a pretty spiritual thing for me and still on many occasion I find myself pretty much in awe of the bees themselves.

and AMEN to what lazy shooter said.