Beekeeping Course at UWA

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Synth, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Synth

Synth New Member

I have just completed a two day introduction to beekeeping course at UWA (University of Western Australia). I will be setting up a few beehives in Canada sometime. There was a lot in the course that would not apply to Canada, but the basics are transferrable. There were a few things I was not expecting:

1. Petrol (gas in North America) kills bees instantly, better than any insecticide.
    2. The lecturer recommended 8 frame WSP hives. Are these used in Canada?

He showed a short film about urban beekeeping in Hong Kong; it was actually a Nokia TV advert. Are any of you familiar with it?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

At one time petrol "gas" was used to kill yellow jackets nesting in the ground. It is now illegal to do so.

In the US, I recommend 8 or 10 frame Langstroth hives for the beginner.

Not familiar with the film.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Synth:

I'm not familiar with the "WSP" hives you mentioned, can you tell us a little about them?

I'm wondering if it is another name for something called something different in different parts of the world.

4. Synth

Synth New Member

I believe that they are very similar to a standard Langstroth but about 3/4 of the depth. Australian beekeeper suppliers seem to sell both types.

5. Synth

Synth New Member

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    1. Petrol (gas in North America) kills bees instantly, better than any insecticide.

tecumseh:
    liquid ivory dish washing soap and water will accomplish the same thing. works on wasp and yellow jackets also. not an instant killer but given just a bit of time works just fine.

another snip..
    3/4 of the depth.

tecumseh:
    perhaps 7 & 5/8 inch depth boxes. in most of the US this would be a very odd sized box. I don't know if they are extensively used in Canada??? some of the wood manufacturing folks still list these so I guess someone still uses them.

ps... a quite beautifully done video (link). thanks for that.