Beekeeping demonstration

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bitty Bee, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Just thought that some of you might like to hear that I will be doing a beekeeping demostration in about 4 weeks! I will be working with a member of my county's beekeeping club and we are demonstrating how science has improved beekeeping over the years at an agricultural science day March 16th. Our audience will be a bunch of 5th graders from a couple of the local schools. I'm a little nervous because this will be the biggest demonstration I've done and I'm also in charge of a game that we'll be doing to keep the kids attention. I promise to take pics and post them! and if any of you close enough would like to come see, just send me a pm and I can give you the address and time.

My apologies for not coming around the forum more often it's just been crazy busy here lately.
    ~Taeler

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I am sure that you will do great! 5th graders seem to have a longer attention span than most adults especially when it comes to bugs n stuff. :D Adults on the other hand is like herding cats!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations on the bee demo.
    "Shaping tomorrows minds", what an opportunity. :thumbsup:
    Looking forward to the pics. (and glad you were able to peek in here too, missed ya) ;) :mrgreen:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

glad to see you posting again.. I hope you and mommabeek have recovered from you malady.

our bee club does something along the same line twice a year at two different county fairs. typically 300+ primary grade students at each event. an observation hive is a real addition to connecting with this crowd <practically have to pry some students away with a crow bar.

just remember that a 5th grader's attention span is fairly short (long lecture will not work so well with that crowd). generally you want to make some connection between the students experience in life and the honeybee. most all children know about honey and that a bee will sting. it is good to make a connection between the honey produced and the additional benefit of pollination (watermelons, cucumber etc). we like to convey the message that there is nothing to fear in regards to the bee itself but that it will sting to defend it's home. the girls in the crowd alway go ahhh... when I tell them that the workers in a hive are all sister looking after their mother.

everyone who ever does this the first time is nervous (that's natural)... yep even applied to me at one time. you will get better as you develop you pitch. pretty soon you will begin to notice the combination of words that connects with the crowd... don't be shy, use and polish those things in your presentation.

I look forward to seeing some pictures...

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Hi WBB, little nervous is OK.
    I'm positive it's gonna be a great bee demo. :thumbsup:
    Waiting for pictures. :)

6. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Okay, first of all I want to apologize for taking so long to get back on the forum! It's been crazy busy around here for more reasons than I can list but I have a little extra time on my hands today so I figured I would try to catch y'all up and see if I can get used to this new forum.

As far as the demonstration goes, I caught some kind of bug the day before and didn't get to go. It was a little discouraging but, the week before I was unexpectedly invited to be the reader for a demonstration that the president of the harnett county beekeepers association was hosting and that was quite exciting! Here is link to it on you tube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHMztj0OCTY

Thank all of you for the encouraging words, even though I didn't really get to use any of the advice. I'm fairly certain I will at some point, though, so thanks again! The beek family is all doing well, just busy. Our bees are also doing well and we are at 6 hives right now. We are actually preparing to move to Missouri which is one of the reasons we're so busy. I promise to come around the forum more often, at least until we have to unplug the computers, and I'm so sorry for getting so far behind. Hopefully, I'll catch up with y'all soon, though!

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

he welcome back WBB
    :thumbsup:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to see you back posting again :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is feeling better also.

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

It occurs to me that a graduate student in psychology could do a dissertation on the "effects on personal and societal behavior by internet forums". Why, you ask?

I was watching WBB's reading with grandfather like pride and realized...I'm not her grandfather! I havent even met her!

Having said that, good job Baby Beek. I hope you and Mama Beek are recovered.

Walt

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome to the club, Walt. I only met the family a few years back, and became Grandpa almost immediately. They just have that effect on a person. Glad to hear all is well, WBB.

11. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Thanks y'all! we are doing very well, health wise, our immune systems are still really week but we have been enjoying ourselves just being able to work the hives again and run around outside! The weather has been beautiful here lately. I'll try to jump in some other threads and see if I can't get in the swing of things around here again. I've been gone so long, I'm still catching up.

Walt, your funny! "grandfather like pride" hahaha, well I'm glad your proud of me and I hope I don't let you down.

Idee, you'll always be my grandpa. Family isn't always defined by a blood line but, also by those who you closely cherish whether or not you're actually related. :grin:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and that final sentence is I think a wonderful sentiment.

ps... the queen catching ladies down at my neighbors place has gone to calling me grandpa. I take it as a very fine compliment and no I am not related to any of those ladies.

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I somehow had managed to miss this thread until today!! For a long time I wished that my kids had men in their lives that they could look up to like a grandpa....and see how beautifully and plentifully that wish was granted!