Beekeeping discussion with a 2nd grade class

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bamabww, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I had the opportunity to share a few things with the second grade class of Speake Elementary School this afternoon. I carried a complete hive and other related gear and tools. The item they most enjoyed was a pint jar with 3 honey bees inside. I was able to capture 3 bees each one with a different color pollen in their sacks. Everyone from the teachers to the lunchroom workers were impressed by that part of my demonstration.

I've been invited back to "Farm Day" held on May 15th for a demonstration to the entire 6 grades. Should be fun.

Attached Files:

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Paying it forward, way to go Wayne! :thumbsup:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Way to go bamabww, i've done several 2nd grade classes and as you probably found out, they can ask some hard questions.:lol: Jack

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

Great! you are getting the young a head start in bee keeping, hope the 6th grader will be even more into bee keeping.

kebee

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Good job Wayne I love the thought that goes in to some of the questions the younger kids ask.
    Will you be able to have bees in an observation hive to take with you to the grade 6 farm day demonstration? Also you could provide info on other young beekeepers keeping bees thru young enterprise programs and 4H. There have been a few listed in the news and thru this site. Iddee was involved in the 4H.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good job.... get yourself one of those 'shoe box' observation hives for your next presentation and mark the queen.

it still amazes me at how excited some folks become when they spot the queen.

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I had a really good time with these youngsters. I've found out since my meeting with the second grade one of our older members in the local bee club has / had an observation hive at one time. I'm going to see if I can borrow / buy it before Farm day.

I only live about 6 miles from the school and they are interested in visiting my observatory when they study the solar system as well. I have the solar system laid out through my back yard into a field where each foot represents 10 million miles. I have all the planets marked and it is pretty interesting to the youngsters and adults alike to see the space involved in our solar system. On the scale I use, the nearest star, not counting the sun, would be where the Statue of Liberty sits in NYC. I have a filter that I can put on my telescope that allows for safe viewing of the sun. Should be a fun day with 20 second graders!

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

very cool photo of those kids wayne, just loved their smiling faces!