Beekeeping equipment

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Sep 1, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Here in my town we have quite a few antique stores, consignment stores, and several weekly auction houses that are close by. There is Craigslist, a free forum (giving free stuff) and a local forum to sell your items. I check all these places daily or weekly and NEVER see anything beekeeping related! I'm starting to think there is a local ordinance stating that if you get out of keeping bees you by law need to take everything and bury it in the back yard and never speak of it again!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: An old keep and his equipment are seldom separated. It seems like it takes one so long to accumulate all the right gear to make life easier, we are reluctant to part with it when the time comes. :wink: I would think that as most keeps pack it in, they have made friends/connections/etc. that they have arranged to sell or pass things on to. Not much seems to hit the classifieds and when it does you have to be quick. I often take too long trying to decide on something only to have someone quicker on the draw scoop me on it.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I never parted with my old equipment. i passed it to my father when I went in the marine Corps.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I agree with you crazy8 you would think there would be equipment on the market. However I have heard that the average time most people stay in the hobby of beekeeping is 3 years then move on. The rest of us are above average:grin: Within 3 years a lot of people dont accumulate the equipment that most of us have picked up. Most of the used equipment I run into is hive bodies that have been abandoned at the site they was keeping the bees. I have ran into this several times while hunting.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

My Grandfather 70 years ago raised bees and I use his smoker. Bellows needed new leather and it is small but does the trick till Christmas time. lol Just 2 days ago I found out my Uncle raised bees at some point in his life but has nothing! Guess I'll keep looking till I give up and buy.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Whatever I can part with is quickly apropriated by my grandson. It's a win-win arrangement. :thumbsup:

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Perry,
    I once collected and restored chainsaws. When I found a decent saw, I learned to jump on it without hesitation. If I decided later I was a bit too hasty, it was never very hard to sell the saw. I would assume beekeeping gear would be the same.

I have also learned that it pays to hit yard sales. If you don't see what your looking for then tell the seller what you're after. You might get a pleasant surprise.

8. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

A year ago I got a call from a neighbor who was at an auction. There was a small, 4 frame extractor, never used, still in the box. Seemed the guy wanted to keep bees, got the extractor, but never got the bees. Most of the folks there didn't know what it was, or what they'd do with it.

The neighbor picked it up for me. You never know when something will surface.

Walt

9. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I was thinking the other day just where I want to go with bee keeping. I can tend to go overboard on most things. I am not sure I want to make bees anything even remotely like a job so I want to be careful. I also realize after just one summer i have enough honey to keep my family in sweets for a few years. that is if don't go all out and try to sell it etc. So what am I goign to do next year? make more. push myself into the need to sell etc? I have 300 dollars or so, much of it one time expenses and maybe about 100lbs of honey. that is still pretty pricey honey for having done it myself. But not if it allows me to get my own honey for teh rest of my life. INT eh mean time I will probably put any extra equipment away until I need it again. At the very worst I am equipped and ready to take advantage of any swarm or other opportunity that comes along. I seem to regularly run into people needed bees removed etc. and now I have a jacket. veil. smoker and hive boxes to take them.

So if worse comes to worse and I don't keep bees in a couple of years I will still hold onto my equipment so I can when the opportunity presents itself.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: Say it ain't so! What are you talking about?

Clearly the heat is getting to you. I feel you need a vacation, preferably in an area where the extreme heat isn't. Nova Scotia is just one of those places. I may even be able to locate a member there that could talk some sense into you! :wink:

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Danny,
    This is a very important issue in a forum made up, primarily, of hobbiest beekeepers. I'm sure many of us have comments on the topic and would like to have their say.
    How about opening a new thread, dedicated entirely to the subject.

12. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Bingo! Nearly all the used beekeeping equipment I've seen for sale since I began beekeeping has been offered via friends/connections. Most often folks with stuff to sell contact our local bee club and we send out an email. Usually gone within a few hours.

13. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I went to an auction this summer that had beekeeping equipment on the auction bill. The extractor was an old tangential that had the gear mech so rusted up you couldn't hardly turn it and the galvanizing was mostly gone, I passed. I couldn't find the hive boxes that were listed so I asked about it. I guess when they started moving everything out the hive bodies were so rotten they just fell apart when they picked them up so they burned it up with a bunch of other junk. The old guy must have kept them around thinking he'd get back into it but old age got him before he got more bees. I bet there is a bunch of used equipment sitting in old barns, sheds, and garages just rotting away.

14. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I check craigslist and a couple other similar things at least 3 times a week and the closest I've ever gotten to some bee equipment from that was calling someone an hour after the posting was put up, and being told someone had already called and bought it. LOL

I know the beekeeping association here in town regularly has swappings going on and that's about the only way to get your hands on reliable used equipment. Sadly, they were not a very welcoming group; my husband and I only went to a few meetings before getting tired of being ignored and in one case, told "tell you what, in 3 years if you still have bees, then we'll talk."

I firmly believe most clubs and associations are NOT like that, though, so that's not meant to discourage folks from finding their local clubs.

My husband regularly goes out hiking looking for places to do some good birding and take some photos and he came across just that. Said it was a half-falling down barn that was just packed with old hive bodies and woodware, not a bee in sight. He tried to lift up a couple and they just fell apart, so we decided it wasn't worth the effort to try to find out who owned it and try to salvage any of the equipment, though.