Beekeeping In Haiti (Teaching In Third World Countries)

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Scott Derrick, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Scott Derrick

Scott Derrick New Member

​Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering is there is anyone in this forum has ever taught beekeeping in Haiti. I have an opportunity in the near future to travel to Haiti and teach some older children in an orphanage how to keep bees. The director of the orphanage wants to teach the older children life skills that will help them make a living in this extraordinarily poor third world country. I'm doing some preliminary study in preparation for going such as available flora and fauna, supply issues...

I've been reading information off the net was well as studying the area of Haiti I'll be traveling to. Understanding that sustainability is one of the main keys to success in the area, I'm looking for folks that have experiences beekeeping in Haiti or that have taught Haitians this valuable skill.

Any and all input from folks that have been part of the humanitarian efforts in third world countries would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No experience but.....

Slice of pie for your efforts to help those in need! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

piepie.jpg

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nothing really to add to your question beyond another question.... have you check the past issues of the American Bee Journal since they often times have articles on beekeeping in third world countries?

I am guessing here that the larger problem is much like the chicken and egg question....which is really a poorly stated concept but none the less seems to be a well recognized mental model for a paradox. As I see the problem > how in some third world country do start anything when some capitalization is need for any and everything... with no capital how do you get anything off the ground to generate positive returns in some future time period....and finally in any place where folks are quite often times living from hand to mouth how do you keep people from consuming the seed for next years crop when they are starving now.

4. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I think Tec's last point, about keeping people from consuming next years seed will be a huge hurdle. The start-up capital can be brought from the states, via a nice benefactor. A very good friend of mine has tried some similar type ventures in our country, and keeping hungry folks from being "here and now" thinkers is a difficult proposition. Like the above posters, I do admire your goal of helping those that need it.