Beekeeping is 'Super' !

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Slowmodem, May 19, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The main hive is buzzing along nicely. Two medium supers are full of honey. I put a third medium super on it today. I am going to call Maxant Monday and order a 3100P 9-frame extractor. I hope things keep going this well.

On the other hand, I looked in the split and saw a lot of drone cells. I guess I have a laying worker. After I extract the honey supers from the main hive, I'll probably pull a frame or two of eggs and put into the split to see if they'll make a queen. It would be too much work to remove all the supers to get into the brood boxes at this point in time.

Pictures at 11...........

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Awesome! If you would have had your extractor, would you have taken the full mediums off? Harvest time is still a long way off for me and have started studying on it.

They throw that stand in for free considering what you are shelling out for the extractor. I took a look at it...very nice..

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have the 2 frame extractor, with the few hives I have that's enough for the moment. I will have 5 - 6 hives this season, using deeps for supers and brood chambers ( don't mix brood chambers with supers ) With the issues I had with 3 of the colonies ( one stolen, 2 ran over with a truck ) I am not expecting much in the way of honey for myself this season, unless the fall flow is extraordinary and of a quality I can live with or I will leave it with the bees for late winter build-up.
    Barry

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I really don't know the answer to that question. I stole that one frame earlier and it sure was good. And with that one I did the crush and strain just to get the honey. However, this will be, from what I can gather, a big event and kind of messy. So I probably will just wait until I have enough to justify getting out the extractor, doing the work, and cleaning up all the stuff. But hopefully I'll have lots of comb drawn (which they say is like having money in the bank).

5. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I try not to give advice on Saturdays, but I'm under the impression that a laying worker(s) hive believes they are queen right, and will not raise a queen. From what I understand, their mistaken belief that they are queen right is also the reason you can't simply add a queen to a laying worker(s) hive, because she will be killed. I've also never experienced your situation so I'm not speaking from experience.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Many times a laying worker hive won't raise a queen, as they do believe they are queenright. Also, many times a beek will think he has laying workers when he doesn't. Either way, a frame of open brood and eggs added weekly will most times get them to make queen cells by the third or fourth frame. ""week""

I prefer to shake all the bees out onto the ground around the other hives and put the hive away so they can't go back to it. They will take up with other hives and the next day or next week, or whenever, you can start a nuc in that hive with a split.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

You sure are full of good ideas! :)