Beekeeping presentation at public library

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Jul 11, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I got asked to do an hour long presentation on (Backyard) Beekeeping at the public library as part of the adult summer reading program but people of all ages are welcome and encouraged to attend. What topics would you cover? Here's my basic outline:

Honeybee Biology
    -bee anatomy (basic head, thorax, abdomen, sting, antenna, proboscis)
    -Lifecycle
    -adult bees and their roles

Types of hives - advantages and disadvantages
    -Langstroth
    -Top Bar Hive
    -Warre hive

Selecting a site
    -forage range
    -proximity to property lines
    -flight path barrier
    -water availability

Getting bees
    -packages
    -nucs
    -swarms
    -colony relocation

Hive products
    -Honey
    -beeswax
    -propolis
    -pollen

Typical beekeeping year
    -spring build-up
    -nectar flow
    -dearth
    -preparing for overwinter

Pests and Diseases
    -Varroa mite
    -Nosema
    -skunks
    -Small Hive beetle
    -American Foulbrood

Questions and slideshow or our beekeeping year so far

Honey tasting

Seems like a lot to cover and I don't plan on going very in-depth in any one subject, I only have an hour or so. I have lots of pictures and a powerpoint presentation to help keep me on track. I'm planning on bringing a super with frames and a frame of capped honey. I would bring all the main parts to a hive but all my bottom boards are used up, no empty hive bodies or unused innner covers and telescoping tops, in fact, I've been using 3/4" plywood to make migratory tops. My 8 year old son is coming with me with his bee jacket and gloves and we'll bring a hive tool and frame grabber and an empty bee package box and nuc box.

Does this sound manageable in an hour? What parts would you cut out or add?

2. Tia

Tia New Member

Been there, done that. And I can tell you, even if you practice the talk and make sure it's an hour or less, the questions will take you into overtime! Once folks start hearing about the wonders of the honey bee, they sure do get fascinated in the whole thing. It is a lot to cover, and like you said, just hit the absolute basics. Then if anyone wants you to expand on it, you can go from there. Good luck!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Another little trick I have used (especially with kids) is to have a tray of fresh fruit available. I then explain that if we lose honey bees, will will also lose many of the most delicious things we eat. It makes the kids think twice before stepping on or killing bees.
    Kudos to you for putting our best foot forward! :thumbsup:

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Super

I think that is more than an hours work ... I also agree questions are going to be many. Keep it light and simple till they take you deeper.....

I love hearing of people teaching others, I think I get more out of bees by teaching others.

Swimmng last Friday night at our community pool and someone said careful there is a bee in the pool. Well I know who she belongs to, as Jacobs hives are just three blocks away LOL.... So i offered her a finger , took her to the side and after a thorough cleaning she flew off, I had 4-5 people watching me and asking questions... Everyone was scared either I or they would get stung, afterwards they were not so apprehensive.

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Got done talking in exactly an hour and then about 10 mins of questions. There were 8 people that showed including the city administrator and his wife, they are interested in keeping bees and will be my ally when trying to change the ordinanance to allow them in town. I brought a jar of honey and had spoons for samples and could have sold some if i had enough to sell.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Glad it worked out, sorry I was late to the party.

If you convert just one, you are succesful in life....

7. geoffkb

geoffkb New Member

Any Beekeeping Attorneys?

Definitely encourage the relaxation of regulations. The city of San Diego recently changed their Urban Ag ordinance, one of many cities getting wise to the situation.

Now all we have to do is convince the home owners associations. A neighbor of mine has complained to the HOA about me and another neighbor 10 or 12 times over the last few years, many different things. The letter I got said I 'must not do anything likely to cause a nuisance in the neighborhood'. Surely she is the one causing the nuisance, the CC&R are not there to benefit one person to the detriment of many.

Does anyone know a beekeeping lawyer who might have some ideas of how to approach this?