beekeeping Profits

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by G3farms, Feb 26, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It is possible, first you need to get a honey crop .

G3

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you are saying two dollars and fifty cent and 60 cent, then you are close, unless you lose money the first year, which is more likely.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It would be best to not loose the bees the first year.

4. Charles

Charles New Member

like most other business ventures, your lucky to make even a single dollar in your first year. Take that first year and learn everything you can. Ask questions here, read everything you can, and try and meet up with others in your area that are already keeping bee's. You'll learn so much that is relevant to your area that way...

Keep your chin up when things don't go as planned and you'll be a success in no time :) you have the enthusiasm now comes the learning curve!

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

First year, join a local beekeeping club.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

calculating profit on one hive is likely impossible since cash outflow is difficult to determine and any large purchases are only divided by one or two units.

calculating cash inflows is likely easier since price (of honey or wax) times # of product will get you to a good approximation. production of both items will vary somewhat to highly based upon you locality.

7. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Once had a farmer friend who raised chickens. He had a brooder house with about 10,000 chickens and raised them to market. After all is said, he lost a little on each chicken. When complaining to his chick supplier, the supplier said "well, you probably need more chicks". Moral....you probably need more bees.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

After our 90 year old beekeeper who died 8 yrs. ago who sold honey at our Farms Market, i was ask if i whould fill his spot ( at the time i had 6 hives) and i accepted.I now run between 50 to 60 hives plus 5 acres of truck patch. I've decided that's as big as i want to get, i can't produce enough honey for the demand ( i was sold out Nov.1, last year) and i don't sell anything i don't produce on the farm. Now that i've got all the equipment bought and payed for i might begin to see a profit,( if i don't count my labor) but i have alot of fun. Jack

9. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

Look for a bee prophet (mentor or local club), eventually you might see a profit.

10. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

If you are going into beekeeping for the profit, you are going to be disappointed.

11. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We have had bees for three years now and haven't made any cash profit or broke even.
    (Granted we haven't worked as hard at it as we could've.)
    However, our learning profit has been far more valuable than bees could ever pay for! Not to mention the friendships we have gained along the way.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sam writes:
    Are any of you guys commercial beekeepers

tecumseh:
    sgkcrk is and on occasion I have been or have been thought to be a commercial beekeeper.

like sqkcrk said, if profits is what is driving you to get into the bees you will likely not walk away from this experience a happy person.

in almost all ventures scale (numbers) is a large part of the profit equation.

13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Profit? What is that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

First you have to buy the bees all the equipment. It will take you about 5 years to recover the cost of a pair of colonies and start up equipment. Once you figure that out There are the friends and relitives who want the free hand outs of wax and honey, more equipment to buy like a extractor, more bees cause the first year you took to much honey( the devil makes you do it).
    Then the state passes a law so you need to build a building where you put the three bowl sink they demand you have to wash equipment in( still havn't figured out how to fit a 72 frame extractor in it yet :confused: .) maybe some day their will be a profit but I am not going to perdict when that might be.

:mrgreen: Al

14. camero7

camero7 Member

I have 3 hives alive going into my second year [lost one so far]. I am about $700 in the red. Your expectations are very high IMHO.

15. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It's possible, but you're missing the - in front of the $250 and you misspelled losses as "profits". :lol:

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Unless your a totally commerical oriented person with no passion for the insects your in charge of, then small scale beekeeping is enjoyable but profitable--not hardly initally. Been keeping bees for a few ( 12 years), and while I do infact sell honey, and wax I don't expect to purchase many yachts on the profits, a inflatable raft maybe but much else. Learn to love what your doing first, makes the working of the bees alot more enjoyable, if your viewing them as a moneymaker, are are willing to kill of the bees every year and harvest every pound of honey they gather, ( and there are a few that do exactly thet ) then the only expense you have is package bees every spring after purchasing all the equipment.
    Barry

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

barry writes:
    Learn to love what your doing first, makes the working of the bees alot more enjoyable,

tecumseh:
    as a former vp of ford motor company and at one time my boss and mentor would have said... do what you love and you will do it so well that the $ will naturally follow.

18. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Reminds me of the story about the watermelon sellers who bought melons for a dollar, hauled them to NY City, sold them for a dollar and when they found out that they hadn't made a profit they decided they needed a bigger truck.

19. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

yes, I am.

20. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Barry, I find that a cold hearted stereotypical comment on commercial beekeepers. Do you really think that commercial beekeepers aren't passionate about their bees? If I put profit ahead of bee health and well being I will loose both. On the other hand, I don't cry every time I kill a bee, like a girl I knew when I was in Bee School in Ohio. So, maybe I am dispassionate about my bees.

Not offended, just didn't care for the jab at commercial beekeepers.

Mark