beekeeping suit?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by thatguy324, Mar 21, 2013.

1. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

can i make one thats decent cheaper than i can buy?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It depends on how good you are with a sewing machine (which costs money to buy). For sure, you don't have to sew the bottoms--a good pair of jeans is more than adequate. Just tuck in the jacket or belt it around your waist. If you have a hat and veil, you can do without the top of the suit too. A good long sleeved heavy fabric shirt is just as good.

3. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

For the words that come out of this guys mouth! Never! But then again I have one aggressive hive. They want to do their best at killing me. They sting me through the suit if I don't have thick clothing under the suit. And I double check every possible area for them to find a chink in the armour. But then again some are just as calm to be around and pay you zero attention. But for the unexpected squish of one, I don't take any chances and I completely suit up EVERY time out with any of them.

But do as YOU please. Any set of full coveralls can be modified with a veil zipper. Good luck with your attempt.

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

I just wear a loose long pair of cotton drawstring pants over my usual leggings or tights,, and I wear heavy socks and tall ankle hiking boots, and I wear two loose longsleeved shirts. I wear a veil that ties down and protects my head and neck, and I wear goatskin beekeeper gloves or else heavy rubber dishwashing gloves- keeping wrists covered. This works just fine for 3.5 years so far. I don't own a bee suit- just the veil and gloves. If I was a commercial keeper, i'd surely have official bee suits.
    P.S.- instead of the icky rigid plastic pith helmet they sometimes sell to go under the veil, I use a nice small brimmed ladies antique straw hat, which fits me much better and is cooler.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

someone suggestd a painters uniform for the guy on my crew that might end up helping me do the cutout. (he isn't a beekeeper, I would end up with the bees). I have a helmet and veil.

6. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

You guys have sissy bees. I've got a hive that requires heavy armor. They ate me up today with about a dozen stings.

7. Gypsi

Did you wear your suit? I worked 3.5 hives today and not one sting.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Disposable suits they are made of a Tyvek type of material they have elastic around the ankles and wrists. are white so to keep the bees calm and reflect the heat and are one piece to keep the bees from finding the holes and cracks. you can find them at industrial supply places.

9. Omie

Omie Active Member

I often wear black while tending my hives (I wear lots of black basics like leggings etc) and it doesn't seem to upset my bees. I guess everyone has different experiences. I think moving gently without banging things around, and closing up in a timely manner, helps a lot.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm with Omie--what you do and how you do it is much more important than what you wear. Be slow and confident as you move around the hive and in the hive. Nervous beekeepers inspire nervousness in bees.

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Since you're in Alabama, I'd suggest looking at one of the ventilated suits or jackets. The ventilated are heavier, but much cooler.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

like apis mentioned, tyvek, but plan on sweating...
    as far as suits or a jacket, in the long run, the investment will pay for itself in many ways. i have and use coveralls (a few different types) so as not to ruin my clothing, especially for certain times of the season, moving hives, taking off honey etc , and can wear shorts and a tank top underneath in the summer, and in the fall and spring months warmer clothing.

13. Omie

Omie Active Member

I also find it keeps bees calm to considerately lay a spare cover or even a piece of cloth or tarpaper gently over an open exposed box you have put to one side- to keep those bees protected from bright light and breeze while you work in another box or hive.
    Queens, nurse bees, and brood don't seem to appreciate having their roof pulled off and bring laid open to the sun and chilled air for very long- help keep the brood areas dark and warm while you work in or inspect another part of the hive or while you are changing boxes. your bees will thank you. :)

14. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

bear in mind that if you're looking to avoid getting stung the only bee suit that will help you there are those extra heavy ones designed to defend against Africanized honey bees. Bee suits helps give you confidence to work calmly and gently with the honey bees but know if the bees really get it after you you will get stung it's a matter of how badly so by all means get a bee suit spend 70 to 80 dollars and work calmly and efficiently with the honey bees no matter what you wear if your motions are quick and jerky and you don't pay attention to the bees then they will surely start to pay attention to you and not the way you would want them to the learning curve is pretty steep your figured out very quickly lol.
    Barry

15. Gypsi

keep your smoker lit. I went through 4 hives without a sting the other day, but when the sound amped up a light puff of smoke doubtless helped. If they really wanted in my cuff of my glove or up my ankle they could have gotten there.

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well though I failed to mention it I just thought it would go without saying that if you're using a suit you're using a smoker in fact if you're going into the bees at all if you don't have a lit smoker standing by then what happened you deserve.
    Barry

17. Omie

Omie Active Member

Yeah I don't own a bee suit, but a lit smoker and a veil is something I never go without.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

I have an Ultra Breeze jacket, also a hat veil and an old white shirt that I wore in the begining , but have only used the Ultra Breeze about 6x

i very very seldom wear anything other than short pants and t shirt, thanks to Iddee's guidance. if bees get out of hand I just walk away for a few minutes or puff a bit of smoke.

Our local survivors are the famous Wayne's bees and they can be pissy at times , but most of the time careful work means calm bees and of course a lit smoker is mandatory.

Yes I have worked a mean hive, also a swarm that did not like us, also worked a queenless hive, all those times I suited up

Gathered up our first swarm yesterday and didn't even take out any protection or smoker , they were so calm. Walked into nuc box.

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what omie said (and gypsi and barry about the smoker)
    veil and smoker.....always, although i have the coveralls, i have worked bees without them, but will not work bees without these two essentials.....
    weed whacking and mowing....well, you will figure this out without a veil.......:lol: