Beekeeping Survey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, Feb 2, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

A message from Mike Hansen, Michigan's State Apiarist:

A group of students from Bradley Univ. in Peoria, IL is conducting research about beekeepers and their habits. Through the survey link below, a beekeeper can participate and provide this group with information about their situation that would then be part of the composite research.

Thank you.
    Mike Hansen

This is the original message from Dr. Wendy Schweigert:

I, along with Larry Krengel and a team of students from Bradley University (Peoria, IL, USA), am conducting research about beekeepers and their characteristics. The results of this research will be used to identify characteristics of those who choose to become beekeepers, to compare various subgroups of beekeepers with each other, and to compare other groups with beekeepers.

If you are 18 years or older and keep bees you are invited to be a part of this research by completing short anonymous survey about beekeepers. We are interested in new beekeepers as well as those who are experienced. Hobbyists, sideliners and commercial beekeepers are all invited to participate. The survey can be found at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9NSWHZ5
    The survey will be available online until February 14, 2010.

If you have any questions about this research please feel free to contact me, Dr. Wendy Schweigert at: wendy@bumail.bradley.edu

:mrgreen: Al

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

It's got more to do with global warming, religion, and politics than it does beekeeping. The research is being done by the psychology department. There are actually only a few questions about bees or beekeeping and those all have to do with chemical treatments for mites.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I think they wanted to determine if beekeepers were generally for/against certain non-related topics. Kind of like "90% of beekeepers prefer whole wheat toast" kind of thing. Not sure what the practicality of such a survey is, though. Maybe they will use it for those job surveys where they pick possible careers for you based on your likes and dislikes.

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

They wanted to try to figure out why beekeepers become beekeepers. This survey came to my attention on beesource.com where it was pretty much poo pooed by the people who looked into it. I filled out most of the survey, but not the politics/religion related questions. So I don't know how much good my answewrs will be to their survey results.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I posted it here from an E mail I got from the president of SEMBA. Once I looked into it I filled out the bee questions and left all other topics blank except the last section about comments. I said I felt the most questions did npot apply to bee keeping and that asking the same question several ways wouldn't/shouldn't matter as the same answer applied to them all.

:mrgreen: Al

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Two things are telling about it...
    1, it's Berkley, so of course it's got a liberal slant to it and
    2, it's by the psych department, so clearly they will not be as interrested in beekeeping as they are in disecting your psychology.

I went ahead and filled the whole thing out. I don't see the harm in it since it is anonymous.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think the reason for asking the same question different ways is to trip up the ones making up answers as they go along instead of telling the truth. They forget what they said 5 lines up and answer the opposite way.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

having more than a few friends in psychology related subject I would suggest to you that Iddee once again has differentiated the wheat from the chaff here.

It appears the college involved is Bradley and not Berkley... one being in the heartland and the other being on the fringe.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I just completed the survey. I see absolutely nothing unusual in the survey. The latter portion of the survey is a bit as Iddee suggest plus it is likely trying to compose a profile to see how well (or how poorly) certain beekeeping practices fits with personal beliefs.

some folks notions here seems a bit low level paranoid????

or to quote buffalo springfield...
    paranoia strikes deep..
    into your heart it will creep..
    it happens when you are always alone..
    step out of line and someone comes and take you away...

10. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Data collected via an anonymous online survey is statistically worthless. Any conclusions drawn from this survey will be similarly worthless. Garbage In, Garbage Out.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

True, but I doubt it's being used for a study that will be published... this looks to be more like a classroom assignment for a psych. class and will likely only be used to teach the students theory rather than to provide the world with usable statistics.