Beekeeping- Tundra style.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PerryBee, Feb 10, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Checked a few yards so I took a few pics. Mostly OK, swept snow away from a couple upper entrances but other than that left them alone.

Hives in snow. 001.jpg Hives in snow. 002.jpg Hives in snow. 003.jpg Hives in snow. 005.jpg Hives in snow. 006.jpg Hives in snow. 007.jpg Hives in snow. 009.jpg Hives in snow. 011.jpg Hives in snow. 014.jpg

The last two pics are of some of the drifts, and what our sidewalks look like after the town trackless blower opens them up. :lol:

2. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

I listened to mine today with a stethoscope, and all is well. How about yours?

3. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

What's all that white stuff?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

About a week ago I could hear bees in every hive by just placing my ear up against them, didn't even have to knock on the hives. All it tells me though is that there are still bees in there, whether they're queenright, or .....????
    Better than the alternative though I guess. (dead quiet).

Charlie, I'll put some in the freezer for you if you make it up this summer. :lol:

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Brrrr! That looks cold!

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's a ton of snow!

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Looks so fresh and clean no poop marks in the snow. Which direction is the drifts? Newfoundland? It looks like its warmed up with the roads melting off.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:coolphotos:........no pun intended.....

btw perry, leave it to a tundra beekeeper to place SNOW MARKERS near his hives.......was that to MEASURE the snow fall or FIND THE HIVES....:lol:

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The storm was a Nor 'Easter (winds out of the north east) so all the drifting happened on the south (front) part of most of the hives.
    Those markers you spotted RB, are actually driveway markers so the plow driver knows where the edge of the long driveway is, and the windbreak serves two purposes, 1 windbreak, 2 protect the hives from the plow.:lol:
    Yep Keith, we are supposed to go above freezing for highs the next few days.:thumbsup:

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

So change the city sign to "Welcome to Slushville" for the next week.Muddy cars, lakes in the middle of the road, flooding. All the fun stuff

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Those markers you spotted RB, are actually driveway markers so the plow driver knows where the edge of the long driveway is......:lol: "....and " 2 protect the hives from the plow.:lol:

do the same here perry!