beekeeping with diminished senses

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Mar 10, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I think the majority of us lack some sense but I'm talking about actual senses, sight, smell, hearing, etc. I took a new club member with me yesterday to check on hives. He's mid-60s I guess and super nice guy but I had him listen and smell a hive after the telescoping top was removed and the screened inner cover was left to keep the bees contained. The hive we looked at had the cluster just crossing over into the 3rd medium so you could just barely see them but I could easily hear them and smell the honey and "bee smell" but he couldn't. Wondering how much that would affect your life as a beekeeper? I'm 31 and while my eyesight isn't as good as it was 10 years ago I still function fine without corrective lenses and my sense of smell and hearing are still pretty sharp.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What did you say? Speak up and move a little closer!

31 ??? :shock: and your eyesight isn't as good as it was? Wait till you're as old as I am, or even worse (much, much, much, much) as tec or Iddee, or even Jack for heavens sake! :rolling:

(Hearing and smell have never been a problem but yes, the eyes do present an issue).

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Sitting in front of a PC screen 8 hours a day hasn't been good for maintaining near perfect vision.... 6 months after I started working full time after college I had to get glasses that I still refuse to wear all the time.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Reduced senses shouldn't reduce someone's ability to keep bees, but I would think that it would reduce the enjoyment of the occupation. Among the pleasures I get from the hobby is smelling the honey while a flow is going on or in the hive or during extraction. Then there is listening to the symphonic movements of the bee's different activities----what a beautiful sound it is when they are working the flowers. There is nothing like the music of a swarm settling down on a branch or moving into an empty hive they've discovered. Hearing the bees in the hive helps predict their behavior, but I wouldn't be surprised if some keeps "have no noses" or are totally deaf. It's their loss---but it's not a total loss.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't see as good as i use to, but i just passed my drivers lic. eye test without glasses.:thumbsup: have floaters in my eyes and see bees that's not there.:grin: You don't have to have 20/20 vision or exellent hearing or sense of smell, the bees will let you know what you need to know and if your doing it wrong.:lol: My wife did diagnose me with selective hearing.:roll: Jack

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Every married man has that.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

And wives don't? :roll:

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

when i first read the title....
    beekeeping with diminished senses......
    i thought maybe you were referring to our peculiar love for keeping bees, some might call it lack of brain cells....ie-"I think the majority of us lack some sense"......:lol:
    i am in this category:
    "What did you say? Speak up and move a little closer!......:lol: i can still hear them though, and as jack said the girls will let you know.
    btw guys about selective hearing....
    "Every married man has that."
    "And wives don't? :roll:
    "

what???!.....:lol:

ps we do!

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the sense of taste and smell are quite connected.

I think the population statistic on taste (which I seem to somehow recall is genetic related) is about 15% of the male population has this capacity while 35% of the female population has the same ability (which would suggest if it is a genetic characteristic that it also a sex linked characteristic).