Beeline Apairies

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Redcrane, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

This company has an add in this months Bee Culture. Prices listed are really low. Has anyone had any dealings with them? If so are they reliable?

2. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I still love Mann Lakes, good prices and free shipping, I keep checking other places and some may be a bit cheaper with things but soon as you slap on the shipping, its more then Mann lakes.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yikes...I guess that would answer any questions I would have. I have settled with using Walter T. Kelley but Dadant has a few items I am interested in that Kelley doesn't have...like a queen catching clip I have been eyeballing.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I got one recently and I can't begin to tell you how easy it makes things. My ham fisted fingers are too clumsy to pick up a queen but with these clips making splits was simple. Just started going through the hives making note of capped or open brood, found the queen, caught her in the clip, set her aside and then grabbed the frames I wanted and made the split. Released her safe and sound and was done!. Each true split took me about 10 minutes. Those clips are worth their weight in gold.
    :thumbsup:

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have heard they moved to a new location and Have addressed there quality issues. I would suggest buying a minimal amount and see if this is the case. Let us know what you find out:thumbsup:

8. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I placed an order with Mann Lake for 4 items. It took 3 shipments and over a month for it to arrive. I was charged shipping as well even though the order was over 100 dollars. There free shipping is on certain items. They also charge you shipping on back ordered items but do not contact you to find out if you still want the order even though shipping will be three times what it should have been. They also charged my card on the back ordered items. It is illegal to charge a card for anything until it has shipped (Federal Law).
    On the order from Mann Lake includes a long explanation of their shipping charges and provides an 800 number specifically to get a quote on the shipping. IT also states that current catalog prices supersede all previous prices yet when I placed the order online every single price i was charged was higher than the catalog price. When the order did finally arrive the invoice had no prices on it.
    So far I am not impressed with Man Lake. Final straw was no prices listed on the invoice. they are crooks in my book. They know they list different prices in their catalog than they charge and they want no record of it. I could overlook the other delays and such. But that one means I am finished with them.
    I placed another order with a Mom and Pop supplier (Blue Sky). Had my complete order in 5 days with lower shipping charges even though the order was heaver and bulkier and the quality of the product (Woodenware / frames) was nearly perfect. Every frame was good except one top bar that was warped and one bottom bar that broke at a weak point in the wood. One problem I fixed the other I did not. The frames cost less than I could have bought the wood for and if you add the cost of my time it makes the saving even greater.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yes! Awesome! I did not know they had them. Looks like it is metal opposed Dadant's plastic one. I was holding off from ordering from Dadant because the clip was 3.50 and the shipping was 7 million dollars...okay, $7. The reason I couldn't find it on Kelley's site is my only criticism, it's hard to navigate their products...

10. BeeG

BeeG New Member

it would have made it on AFV me catching my queen. I ended up holding her in my hands the whole time thinking OMG these things can keep stinging. I got her where she needed to go and that is where she is staying

11. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I like Walter Kelley, I have also bought some stuff from Mann Lake and Dadant. For the price of a kit $188 for 2 deeps and two shallows I can't really beat the price. They are within two hours of hear and close enough to Rough River state park that we can leave on a Friday night camp for the weekend and pick up our stuff on Saturday afternoon. I like the quality of their product and till I have enough time to start building my own they are a great value as long as I don't have to pay shipping. Even the added cost of camping it's still a good deal for me. Just my 2 cents worth :smile:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You didn't look very well. They have both the metal and plastic. Click on the window and choose the one you want.

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I actually found the plastic one right after posting that response. I was as little shell shocked by the price....almost twice as much as dadant.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

But you did not compare it with shipping. Dadant is very high on their shipping, look at Brushhy Mountain also, they carry them too.

15. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I just made a small order from Dadant and asked them to ship the least expensive way they can. They agreed and cut the shipping more then in half. Tom

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

as much as this thread has bounced around on several consumer topics. We may want to look at adding a consumer report topic to discuss vendors to our list of catagories

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would rather not do that. I imagine every supplier out there has had a bad run in with a few customers at one time or other. I don't think each of those run ins should be in print on the forum, saved in one location. Let's just let each one be discussed and then flow to the back pages.

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Everyone has a bad day now and then. Yes, I know, as hard as it is to believe, even me! :shock: :wink:
    I think I agree, I have seen threads like that go awry and end up way off base and end up downright nasty, not something we practice around here.
    (Wouldn't want you Mods to get too overworked). :lol:

19. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

Preface: this post is second hand info from a local beekeeper, and the info is a couple years old....before I became interested in bees. I can only say I heard it, but can't say it's the truth.

A local keep who lets me go with him to inspect hives told me that Beeline moved from Greencastle, PA to Bedford, PA a few years ago. Beeline works via a distribution chain like some other apiary suppiers, and many other types of businesses. Apparently, when Beeline was in Greencastle, it did have a bad reputation, and was supposedly run by a different individual. I don't live too far from them (about an hour away), and have been to the "new" location myself. The people who operate it look to be Mennonite, and are friendly folks. They were very helpful to me. Every keeper I know in this region (which isn't many, and I certainly don't know them all) deals with them. But, that is probably because we live close enough that it is worth the drive to save on the shipping.
    As far as shipping goes, I can't speak to that, personally. The same keeper I mentioned earlier is 80 yr old. He has a few health issues. He did tell me that he has had Beeline ship things to him before. For what it is worth, I'm guessing he bought from Beeline out of habit, and didn't price shop the shipping. But he said it was worth it to him.

Again, that is all second hand info. But from personal experience, they are cheap, carry decent stuff, are decent people, and are well thought of locally. Just a country family carving out a living.