beemax hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Sep 1, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

does anybody besides me have beemax hives....wondering how they like them...i like mine alot but now im having an issue with DIY equipment not fitting the way i'd like it to...the inside demensions are the same...alls good there but the hive wall is a bunch thicker and leaves an inch wide lip all the way around...this catches a little water that leaks into the hive...other than that i love them (dont set your smoker too close to them...polystyrene doesnt like heat :/ )

2. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

nobody huh.....i figured someone would have tried them...i bet they'd do very well in the colder areas.

3. Tyro

Tyro Member

I have one - mostly because of my climate and as an experiment. This will be the first winter I have bees in it, so we will see.

I have noticed the equipment issue as well. It has been a mild irritant for me, but I have adjusted some. If the bees make it through the winter in decent shape, I might get a couple more. If I want to super it for honey next year, I will probably have to purchase a couple of the BeeMax supers so that they 'fit' properly.

Mike

4. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Hey 2CoolDad, I have a bunch of BeeMax Stuff. Currently have about 30 Beemax Colonies in 1 deep and 1 medium. The rest of my colonies are in conventional equipment. I have had Bee Max since 2007 or so. I think they stay a little cooler in the summer, especially with a little ventilation, like the lid propped open a bit.

If your a commercial beek, I wouldn't recommend them. Not quite as rugged as wood. However, for a stationary apiary, no problem. Seems like I get about 2-3 weeks head start in the spring compared to wood. A big deal if you are raising queens.

They absolutely have to be painted or the sun will deteriorate the foam. Hail does the tops no good and skunks will tear up the bottom board. My biggest complaint is the little plastic ledge that is used for a frame rest makes a void behind it that SHB love to hid in.

On occasion I mix Beemax and wood without difficulty. The bees will fill in the cracks and make it rainproof. Have never looked at the difference in bee space between the two though. For the most part, I keep the Beemax and wood separate as I have enough Beemax supers and other stuff to keep me from having to mix wood.

We have had a terrible year here. I have collected no honey and have been feeding since mid June. Haven't lost a single Beemax Colony though. On most, I put a screen inner cover and regular Beemax lid. That almost completely stopped the hot weather bearding.

Anything in particular you wish to discuss about Beemax after my incoherent rambling?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

didn't sound incoherent to me at at Flyman. I say keep on ramblin' on. good to see your post.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

My only thoughts on BeeMax equipment--don't know about you all, but dispite how gentle I try to be, always a hive tool manages to dig into the wood as I seperate hive components, stryafoam won't tolerate that I would think

7. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

I had a beemax hive last year and had no problem inspecting them, they don't seem to stick together as badly as wood. The hive made it through out tough winter fine and gave me plenty of honey (my two hives in wood did hte same ). I did give away the beemax this summer due to an inability to use equipment across the hives but if all i had was beemax they seemed to work at least as well as wood.

8. Flyman

Flyman New Member

A couple of more thoughts....Barry is absolutely right, hive tool will dig in a little more than on wood. However, they fit really well with another Beemax body and the bees don't seem to propolize as much. If you let gunk build up so they don't fit as well, they will propolize a lot and become harder to get apart. Also, if you have an infestation of wax moth (ahem), they will eat the styro worse than wood.....then you have lots of little tunnels for SHB to inhabit.

9. me2pl

me2pl New Member

what's SHB?

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Small hive beetles

11. me2pl

me2pl New Member

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh...

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ive liked them so far....i dont have any problems getting them apart...i have set my smoker a little close a few times an left a mark....the inner sizes are the same....i have two compleate single deep hives...i have one on top of the other using them as a double deep on one screened beemax bottom board...on top of those i have a wooden deep....then the inner cover that came with the beemax hives...then a 3'' vent top....since the beemax hive walls are so thick and the inner cover matches them there is a 1'' lip around the wood/beemax deep joint....same thing at the screened vent top with the wooden beemax inner cover....i love the beemax hives though....i think i'll use them for starting nucs off when they ready for a big hive...give em an extra boost...i havent painted them yet but they arent in direct sun so i'll get to it soon now that ya said that...thanks for the imput...no im not a commercial beek.