Been a month sice hive swarmed

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok, 2 days shy of a month since one of our hives swarmed. Two weeks ago all the queen cells were opened at the bottom but no signs of the queen, now its been another 2 weeks since I opened the hive.

Gonna take a peak this afternoon and hopefully see something. Gonna be looking for some eggs in the brood bog.
    I just wonder how this hot dry weather would affect a newly mated queen. I have been feeding the hive 1:1 sugar syrup through the top cover.

Fingers crossed.

I'll post whet I find.

2. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Great news.

I saw eggs. I went straight for the midle two frames in the brood box and found eggs. Most of them were towards the tops of the frames and near the capped honey in the corners. Little skinny eggs sitting right in the center at the boton of the cells.

Didn't see queen but didn't have frames out for very long to look for her. I figured eggs were good enough for now.

Now question, they had some capped frames of honey (maybe 6 mediums 75% capped) but this dang heat and drought is relentless. Should I feed them to get them built up since we have a new queen.

WooHoo..

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

How much does the whole hive weigh? If 100 lb. plus, no need to feed.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I doubt it ways 100lbs. Is there a god way to tell. Some knid of scales or something.

And, is this the criteria for feeding or not. 100lbs.

I have 2 hives that have only filled out about 6 frames of the deep hive body. I am worried if I don't get them built up before winter they may not make it. But I am new. I am thinking I need to be feeding them heavily untill they at least fill out 1 whole deep. Their box and their frames are very light. They were small swarms. They have a decent capped brood pattern just are not grownig very fast.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A totally full, capped deep of honey weighs about 95 lb.
    It will contain about 60 lb. of honey.