Been away a long time.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Medic1259, May 26, 2016.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Hi all, I have not been on forum for several years. Well here is my story...

About tis time 3 years ago I broke the bones in my lower leg and was non weight baring for 16 week. I could not take care of my hives but I also could niot take care of my back yard. The yard had become completly overgrown with weeds over 6 feet high. Out of sight out of mind. Then I had some really bad health issues when I could not walk on uneven ground without falling. Could not work the hive if I wanted to with out being very short of breath. Fast forward till today .... Health wise I am not 100% but doing ALOT better. I just had my yard cleaned ( took a crew of 3 almost 4 days) and uncovered a five that is very active. SO this hive has been untouched for 3 years and it is alive and active., over that time 2 yeas ago we had a really bad winter. last year not so bad. I am going to try to get into the hive with in the next week or 2.

Any advise for anything I should do special? I will start posting some pics.

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Glad you're doing better.

3. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thank you

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

You want to stay well to tin to the bees and glad you are doing better and continue to do so.

Ken

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad to see you. I would expect the woodware to be in poor condition with 3 years in the weather, so if you have a solid box or 2 on hand, and Bottom board depending on type, and lid if you need (that you can see) I would prep them first. Hopefully the frames are in good condition, and you can maybe take a small table out there to set the hive on, and inspect frames as you move them into a new box. They may be just fine. My hives run on auto-pilot for 3 months in spring, emergency inspections only, feed jars where Ican see them, and they generally do ok.

6. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Wow. Sounds like you and the bees have a lot in common!

I agree with Gypsi... I would go in with extra wooden ware, maybe an entire complete empty hive and extra frames. By the time you clean everything up, you still may have enough for a split.

​Continue the healing.