Beeproofing

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by onehorse, Aug 14, 2009.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Okay, so you are suppose to beeproof after a cutout. How do you do that? I have heard to use steelwool in the cracks and cervices and PineSol in the cavity where the hive was? Should the cavity be filled? With what? I know that expanding foam is just about worthless around bees, other things to avoid using? What else?

Thank you all for all of the information!

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Fill with fiberglass insulation, use silecon caulk, best bet is to get everything nailed up good and tight.

I just pulled out an old yellow jackets nest from my own house and they had actually removed the fiberglass insulation from the wall to build their nest. There was a small hole at the siding where the window is and this was a huge nest. All outside walls are 2 x 6 and this was a cavity of 13 inches wide and had about 10 layers of nest.

So it is really the best to keep things tight with no holes.

G3

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Actually expanding foam , for the purpose of filling the former nesting cavity, works fine, it's the hole or entrance that needs to be closed, as stated any decent quality caulk will fill that bill assuming that is exterior wall, and you have had to actually open up the wall, insulation will need to be replaced, what it is replaced is your option, but the entrance must be permanantly sealed after cleansing the cavity. Keeping things tight and right is the major factor.
    Barry