Bees and Chickens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by onehorse, Dec 8, 2009.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

So, we are first year beekeepers, 4 hives, and we also put in chickens this year too. Up until 2 weeks ago, the chickens have been fenced in, but we got rid of the roosters and let the hens go free-range. So, the question is does anyone do anything special to keep their chickens away from their bees? Someone told us that the chickens would stand outside the hives and pick off the bees as they left the hive, but since ours haven't been around the hives while they were active, we haven't had that issue, but we are preparing for next year.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Our chickens were free range, but they started for the highway and we were afraid they were going to be hood ornaments on 18 wheelers. Now they are kept in an indoor/outdoor coop.

But, judging from our ladies' ability to not catch grasshoppers when they were free ranging, bees wouldn't have anything to worry about. :)

Walt

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Whoever told you that needs to go back the honeybee kindergarten. Free range chickens DO NOT eat worker bees. They will stand by the hives and eat wax moths. They may eat a drone or two. They know what has a stinger. There were no SHB when I had free range chickens, but I imagine they would devour them, too.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

My hens will eat worker bees, but they're not really free range either. I keep them in a coop and just let them out frequently. I should add that they won't eat any bees unless the bees are crawling on the ground.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That is a different scenario. Chickens will eat another chicken if it's sick and dying, or just badly wounded. Chickens around hives is a blessing, not a scourge.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Our chickens have never bothered the bees at all. We don't do anything special or try to keep the chickens away from them, but they just don't seem drawn to the bees. They'll go nuts trying to catch a beetle, or cricket, or any bug crawling on the ground.... bees no.