Bees and Moon Signs -- Folklore and beekeeping

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Summer1052, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Summer1052

Summer1052 New Member

I hope this is the right place to ask this -- please bump me if not!

I asked this elsewhere on the web to no avail, but there may be someone with answers over here. :smile:

My grandmama used to plant everything "by the moon", using astrology and moon signs to regulate her gardening chores. And with great success.

You can still find this info in a farmers' almanac, along with suggested dates for weaning, castrating, pruning, setting eggs, and so on.

Does anyone remember hearing anything about the moon cycles and beekeeping? I have already noticed that there tend to be far more swarms around a full moon than a dark moon. Good times to inspect? Split? Rob?

Any ideas? PS, I'm not really interested in debating the scientific veracity of astrology, moon signs, planting with the moon, etc. Just looking for the info.

Thanks!
    Summer :smile:

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sounds interesting and probably there is some wisdom, fishing certainly works by the moon.

I hope someone has the knowledge.

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

For some reason it seems to me to be a lot easier to go through the bee yard on a full moon night. I'm still trying to figure out why it's so much easier then than it is on a new moon. Seems I have less injuries on a full moon. Odd... [​IMG]

Oh, hello Summer...glad to meet ya.
    Ed

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

I have come across a few articles of ‘lunar organics’ as the link iddee posted. As far as an answer to your question, I have not heard of this practice, only in (to a certain extent) Native American culture; from my g grandmother; or not heard of beekeepers (other than from current reading) ‘utilizing astrology or moon cycles’ or heard of it from the older keeps I learned from. Most of the older farmers I know read the almanac, and enjoy citing and discussing ‘the cycles of the sun and moon and signs’ with a younger generation like myself , but do not live or plant their fields by them.

In their nature, and IMHO, bees utilize senses beyond human knowledge or understanding, and most beekeeps, ‘follow the bees’….meaning we are on their internal clock and timeline, and experience teaches what we need to do and when, and if we have been observant of their nature and ‘culture’ if you will, (and other factors, weather, blooms, etc..) Many factors dictate and influence when we inspect, when we divide hives, and when the bees rob one another.

for myself, I follow the nature of the bees, and experience teaches when I need to accomplish (or not accomplish) certain ‘tasks’. Do I pay attention to other factors? Yes I do, but not in terms of the ‘signs’ you speak of.

as for what you are asking , I don’t think there is a definitive answer for this, unless it is of a philosophical or ‘scientific veracity’ as you suggest, or one’s own observations and conclusions from experience with their bees.
    just my cent to your post :grin:

6. Summer1052

Summer1052 New Member

Thanks, Iddee. Yes, I've seen the biodynamic slant before, but am not nearly as familiar with it.

Well, we know that the moon affects tides, water, peoples, clams and oysters, etc. And solar flares etc., effect electronics. I place it all in the same category as radio waves. They've always been there, it's just been only in the last century or so we figured out how to measure and utilize them. The same with the jet stream. Always there, but unconfirmed until regular jet flight made lots of observations on it and we figured out the connection to weather.

My grandmama talked about how every sign is: masculine / feminine; Cardinal / Fixed / Mutable; Fire / Earth / Air / Water; barren / fruitful. Generally speaking, earth and water signs (Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn and Pisces) are feminine and fruitful. Fire and air signs (Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius and Aquarius) are masculine, and barren. The waxing moon encourages growth above the ground and the waning moon below it. So planting flowers when the moon is waxing and in Cancer is a good thing. Mowing to kill weeds is great when the moon is in, say, Leo and waning. You gets the idear.

For what it's worth, Hippocrates taught that astrology is integral to good medical practice. I've seen what happens when a surgery is done at the wrong time. It seems unlikely that there wasn't some folklore about the bees at some point, and just faded away. Too bad!

Summer
    (A Cancer Crab Baby)

7. Charles

Charles New Member

A new member (Isleño) sent this to me in email because he thought it might help this thread. I've attached it to this post. I don't know much about this sort of thing and it's in Spanish so hopefully he will come on and explain it for me :)

Attached Files:

8. Omie

Omie New Member

I understand Spanish. The chart shows the relationships between things like:
    Day of week, day of the month, the sun, constellations, hour of the day, the elements (air, water, fire, earth, etc), vegetable signs (fruit, root, flower, leaf, etc), moon phase, and the planet 'house'.

I had a friend beginner BKer. She wanted me to come over to help her check her nucs that she was worried about. Had to be on a weekend because of her job. I suggested Sunday because of the sunny forecast, since Saturday's forecast called for 80% heavy showers and severe thunderstorms. I told her about the forecast. She said it would have to be Saturday because Saturday was a 'root day', and she believed it was better for the bees to be cared for in a biodynamic way that coordinated with the moon and earth signs. I told her Good luck with that. :wave:

9. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I have not done anything with my bees by the moon signs.

One thing that I believe in, is planting by the moon signs. Last year I planted a row of beans on my garden when I got ready to. My dad ask me if I had planted them by the moon signs, Nope.
    I had some of the most beautiful bushes that I have ever seen, and did not harvest one bean off of the whole row.
    This year I planted yellow squash on one of my days off and did not look at the signs. Turns out I planted them when I should have planted a root crop. I got three small squash off of 12 plants.
    There is definitely something to the signs when planting.
    I know that my dad would have no type of surgery or tooth removal at the wrong time, because of the massive bleeding if done at the wrong sign.
    Call me wacko or what ever, some of these things I do believe in.
    Robert