Bees are dying from nosema

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ajaz, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ajaz

ajaz New Member

My bees are dying
    More and more day by day

Fumidil b is not avilable in india

Labour is absent

Havev to migrate 1200 kms
    after 4 days

Any substitute for fumidil b.

Please reply fast

Itz urgent

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I did a quick search and could find nothing in the way of a substitute. I'll keep trying.

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not certain why you might think it is nosema?

nosema is a fairly strange little disease... the apis variety was always hard to test in a lab setting. thinking long ago was that a flow of fresh nectar and pollen would often derail the disease. as a side bar the two varieties react quite differently to temperature with one (apis variety) not doing so well in hot weather and the other (carena) not doing so well in cold. I sometimes think that moist or damp condition promotes the disease (in which ever form).

I am not certain of Daniel Y post above since the disease is internal to the bees and my understanding is is is passed from bee to bee. most often times the direct visual mark of nosema is a brood nest with few brood age bee and a brood nest that does look a bit soiled or dirty.

5. Lburou

Lburou Member

Read this article about field tests for nosema treatments. One of them that did better than nothing and but not as good as fumidil B is a plain, ordinary 6% bleach (drench). You will have bleach there in India I'm pretty sure (look for 6% bleach). Read the article for dose and application. Should be better than nothing. I noted that pollen supplements were paired with improvement of colony health too. Best of luck. :)

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Nosema symptoms

Ajaz ------ Sorry to read of your problem. Hope you find a suitable solution.

For the benefit of the wide range of forum readers, can you describe the symptoms and method of confirmation.

Only if you feel up to it. Good Luck.

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

How about thymol? If the mite count is high a treatment might help with both.

8. ajaz

ajaz New Member

Thanks everyone I found
    A medicine named
    Metrogyl

Salts in it are -Metronidazole 400mg

And it worked

Thank you all

Sent from my A52 using Tapatalk 2

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Barbarian said and if you have a bit of extra time perhaps you could explain to us something of the product you mentioned as a remedy.

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Metronidazole is used to treat internal intestinal parasites in fish, and is used as flagyl to treat a couple of specific internal (small) parasites in human. I keep it around. It works on nosema in bees?

11. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Metronidazole

Metronidazole is available in the UK as a prescription only medicine. It comes as 200mg, 400mg and 500mg tablets. It is also available as an oral suspension and topical gels and creams. One (old) brand is Flagyl.

The usual adult human dosage is 2-400mg orally three times a day for 5 to 7 days. Patients on this have to avoid alcohol --- taking a drink causes a chemical reaction which produces violent vomiting.

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

But what is the bee dosage? And how is it used on bees? And if it is good for nosema, is it good for anything else? (I get it in 100% powder form for fish.)

13. camero7

camero7 Member

A total of 705 individual bees were analyzed from five colonies over three seasons in 2010. bees analyzed were sampled from the honey supers because we found no significant difference in infection levels among different groups of bees sampled

Overall, colonies were found to be infected with N. ceranae. In the spring, all colonies were found infected with an average N. ceranae copy number of 8,007. In the summer, 80% of colonies were found infected with an average N. ceranae copy number of 37,057.

Only one colony was found infected in the fall; however, only one bee from this colony was positive for N. ceranae infection with an average copy number of 70.3. All other samples were negative (n = 249).

These findings bring into question whether a hive that has been deemed highly infected has been diagnosed as such because of an overall high infection level or because of sampling practices in which a minority of bees were highly infected but the remainder exhibited only low-level infections or no infection.

Insects 2012, 3, 1143-1155; doi:10.3390/insects3041143
    Individual Variability of Nosema ceranae Infections in Apis mellifera Colonies
    Author to whom correspondence should be addressed; E-Mail: traverb@vt.edu

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

excellent post Camero and yes that is an excellent question?

15. camero7

camero7 Member

Just sampled several hives for nosema [can't distinguish between apis and cerane]. All had zero counts. But a couple of dead bees in front of the hive were loaded. Maybe most of the infected bees die in the fall?

16. ajaz

ajaz New Member

Please specify the weight
    I dissolved 20 grams
    Of metrogyl 400mg
    In one kg. Sugar solution
    And give it to 54 hives

Sent from my A52 using Tapatalk 2