Bees Are Just Like Us

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Oct 3, 2012.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

One day I added 2:1 syrup to the top feeder before it cooled off. It was only warm to the touch, but apparently to the bees, it was too hot. As soon as they stuck their tongues in it, they started a cantankerous buzzing, fidgeting and general complaining. I added some ice cubes which I stirred around and as the temperature of the syrup dropped, the complaining subsided little by little until it became a satisfied hum. Reminded me of a baby whose formula isn't just right.

Had a bad robbing incident today. As I watched the fighting on the landing deck, I noticed the bees that fan the pheromone into the air (I call them beacon bees) just continuing to do their job oblivious to the other bees which were in mortal combat rolling around and over them. It reminded me of the piano guy in the old Westerns playing right through the knock-down drag-out saloon fights.:lol: Learn your duty. Do your duty.:thumbsup:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I do believe there are many things positive and negative people can learn from a honeybee. However one need to always be alert when anyone anthropomorphizes the honey bee a bit too much. There is nothing wrong with making analogies that carries from one species to the other but seeing some 'learned' people's writing where they make functional comparisons between insect and mammals is a bit alarming to me.

3. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

Tec--I read your post to my bees and they were insulted!

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

Jacobs- lol!

5. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

:rolling:

I love the image of the fanning bees as the old piano player in a saloon, I laughed quite a bit at that.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

did you give'em a good shot of smoke Jacob before you read them that passage? :wink:

'my girls' here never listen to anything I read them from the book anyway and they often time seem to ignore all the rules.

the academic side of my brain tell me to always reduce these kinds of questions down to.... how are these two things similar and how are they different?