Bees aren't drawing wax and storing nectar!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by beeman of glencullen, Jul 14, 2010.

1. beeman of glencullen

beeman of glencullen New Member

I have a healthy brood box full of worker bees, but they have refused to go up into the super and draw wax and store nectar! They are just idle on the brood combs.
    Does anybody have any advice? :eek:

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I had the same question many years ago. A fellow with nearly 50 years of experince told me to split the brood boxs in half then put the honey super on the bottom box, then set the second brood box on top for about 7 days.

Also get rid of the queen excluder if you are useing one.

:mrgreen: Al

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I second getting rid of the excluder. If you only have one brood box, I would add one the same size and move some of the full frames into it and replace with empties. If you have no, or little honey flow going on, then feed until they get it drawn out.

PS. Welcome to the forum.......

4. beeman of glencullen

beeman of glencullen New Member

Thanks to all for the advice!

I checked my hive yesterday and noticed they are drawing wax in the super!

Should I still get rid of the queen excluder? I am afraid she might go up to the honey super and lay eggs!

Should I feed them syrup over the super? They might start storing it instead of nectar!

Many Thanks for any advice given!

Beeman

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you plan to take honey this year, leave the excluder and don't feed.

If it is only for their winter food, remove the excluder and feed sugar water.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I personally used queen excluders to keep queen out of honey supers, as the bees won't abandon brood if you want to harvest the honey, but I would take several frames of sealed brood and move the frames into the honey super, and give the brood chamber the foundation to draw out, The bees will emerge and be where they need to be anyway as is the younger bees that aare the wax producers, plus the older combs will be natural attractant for more bees.. Would also consider feeding them, the nectar flow may well be rather slow this time a year. bees are not inclined to draw comb during a dearth of nectar.
    Barry