Bees around Bird Feeder and Pond?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by larry tate, May 26, 2012.

1. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Anyone have any ideas to help keep bees from bothering a lady that claims honey bees are a nusiance around her bird feeders and small fish pond? She keeps calling the land owner of where we have a yard of 20 or so hives complaining. She just called me at 7:35pm saying 300 bees were swarming around her bird feeder bothering her birds. At our home yard most are in by 7:30 now. There is a pond in the opposite direction about the same distance away. Thanks for any info.

2. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Honestly, I can't think of why a bee would want to go near a bird feeder and risk getting chomped up by a bird. Seeing 300 bees might make me think a swarm was trying to land, but I can't imagine they'd land on a feeder. Bees will go to bodies of water to drink, but just like when they're out gathering, they have more on their mind than stinging someone for no reason.

Maybe if she's using those suet feeders that are full of corn syrup...that might attract them in a dearth. You could suggest she not use sugar/sryup coated bird seed if she is, that stuff attracts ants and other pests as well.

It kinda sounds like you just have a neighbor that is scared of bees. She's had bees in her yards and drinking from her ponds her entire life, unless she spent time in Antarctica...but since she can "see" the hives nearby, well, that's likely causing her to freak out. Some people are irrationally afraid of things they don't understand or have never experienced, and sometimes giving them a little bit of understanding about something can lessen the fear.

In your shoes, I'd maybe try to just have a conversation with her. Maybe bring her to the bee yard or my yard, let her smell some frames and see someone near a lot of bees not getting stung, try to get her over her anxiety about them in general; talk about how they are docile when out foraging and will actually improve pollination in her area and things like that. And maybe give her some honey.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

300 bees on a bird feeder would make me think hummingbird feeder, not solid food feeder. Some are adjustable. They can be set so the openings are too deep for a bee to reach.

Ponds, I agree with heinleinfan.

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Bee will most definitely go to a humming bird feeder , especially in a dearth !! Especially those with the feeder holes on the side. They make a top hole humming bird feeder, which helps quite a bit.
    You don't say how close the hives are to the neighbor but 20 or so hives are a lot I would think to be with in viewing distance of a unhappy residence.

Murrell

5. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Our honey bees closest water source is our swimming pool, but they rarely use this.
    They always will still prefer our fountain area and a run off area we fill (from the fountain).
    001 drink fountain.jpg 014 P1010040.JPG 012 P1010039.JPG

019.jpg 015 P1010043.JPG 018 P1010058.JPG
    They also prefer the fountain to the goldfish pond or pool.

If it were me I would try one of those "cheap" yard fountains and surround it with a "pretty little sand area" Greenery like hosta or monkey grass and maybe a soaker hose under, ran just enough to saturate it.

They really like the trickling water and the sand that surrounds the fountain are. It saturates and make an easy platform to land and drink.
    These photos were taken when we only had 1 hive - now we have 4 hives and the fountain place is the happening most place in the yard! (sunrise until sunset).
    A quick fix would be to buy the fountain fill it and plug it in and see.

6. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

The pics were also taken very early spring (kinda ugly!)
    These (phone pics, not the best) were taken last night.
    They really favor this area, because we run the water everyday and it is a cooler. temperature. I float little cut out fake lily pads from craft foam, but I really think they like the sand part best.
    And Larry - I wanted to show you where your honey bees live! And they are doing great! Queen was released on day 4 and started laying almost immediately!
    IMG-20120526-03011.jpg IMG-20120526-03007.jpg IMG-20120526-03009.jpg IMG-20120526-03010.jpg

7. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Sounds like to me this lady doesn't like Bees and if she complains enough she thinks she can get rid of them. She'll probally goto the local Government/Police Departments next. I think every neighborhood has that one neighbor who is just a pain in the butt.

Maybe put a Bee Pond near the Hives and Possibly educate her that they won't sting when gathering Nectar and Pollen and Water unless they are bothered like swatted or stepped on. Also they don't eat birdseed.

Tell her the Flowers in her yard are prettier thanks to your Bees and if Bees didn't exsist all she'd be eating is 90% of what she does now...hence mostly only Manmade Food.

8. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Remember we're talking " 20 or more hives " here, not exactly a 2-3 hive back yard hobbiest.
    Is this the L. Tate that sells Queens/bees ?
    Sorry to say that this is the type of situation that can make the " local govt. " place those nasty restrictions.

Don't mean to be against anyone, however I think the whole situation needs to be looked at.

Murrell

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

This is out in the country, not in town.

10. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Yes Zulu. The owner of the tract of land has owned and had cows on the land for I think 30yrs. He owns around 50 acres undeveloped in an agrilcultural- farming area. If .He tells her that lol. I dont want to cause a stink and am going to meet with her next week to see who I am dealing with. Hey Tonja nice pics. If we could only get them to go to the cow pond...... Thanks for all the answers. One hive or 100 hives would make someone complain if they do not like bees I guess.

11. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Exactly true... Here the bees will go to the coldest, freshest hose running...And they were at the pool today within 5 mins when I was siphoning out some water... The movement of the water attracts them too...
    And the complaints come from ONE bee...when they see the boxes in the yard...
    Only 4 hives here but still hear from the neighbors, who claim they have had to go to the hospital for shots and "everyone" claims to be allergic. Poor honey bees get blamed for everything with a stinger!