Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor has taken to using his front porch in the evenings--and that includes lighting it up. My bees, situated not far from his porch have taken to following his lights and have become pestiferous when he and his family try, rightfully, to enjoy thieir outdoor evening hours. No stings (yet), just annoynce. Allow me to add, that he has already undergone desensitization due to allergic reactions to bee stings, so in spite of his being a wonderful and considerate neighbor, he is concerned by the evening visits.
Any suggestions that can be given to keep the bees from following his lights would be most welcome---and soon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ef, other than moving them or building a barrier of some type to shield your bees from his light, if your neighbor is willing to try a yellow light it will attract less bees to his patio.

​...JP

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Given that bees don't supposedly see red, I was going to suggest a red light, but then that could cause a whole other set of problems. :oops:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
..... I was going to suggest a red light, but then that could cause a whole other set of problems. :oops:
Ours is a nice, wholesome family district. I wouldn't suggest that my neighbor try changing anything on that score---even if it meant suffering from the bees. :lol:
I think I'll try putting up a large opaque shield of some sort (fabric? plywood?) between the hives and his porch.
I'll report on the results.

·
Registered
582 Posts
How about a physical barrier? If the bees can't see the light, they won't go to it.
The Hillbilly in me says: "Lean a car hood against the hive"

You beat me to it Ef? Opaque? A Car hood is opaque

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray, there are no spare car hoods around here---but I might be able to dig up some old sheets of plywood. It'll be a project to make them strong enough to keep standing.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This afternoon I "blocked off" the direct line of sight between the hives and the porch: one hive by a sheet of plywood and the second by a large segment of carton. Tomorrow morning I'll ask if there was any improvement.
I hope to have time to give a report--tomorrow has a very busy schedule.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An alternative might be to set up an insect-attractive light on your side of the fence.
---reminds me of the Mother Goose rhyme--it went something like this
Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean
So both together, twixt the two,
They licked the platter clean. :rolling:

At any rate, I asked my neighbpr this morning how it went. Response: "Much better. Only five bes came to the light." They are willing to live with that. I widened the shield a bit more any hope it will be even more effective tonight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts