Bees at an Estate Auction

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Ozark Lady, May 2, 2010.

1. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

My husband is always watching the paper for Estate Auctions, often you can find great buys there.

Now, that he is aware that I want bees he is watching for anything along this line.

We went to one that advertised a bee hive, it was a broken up mess of a super with barely a roof on it, no frames, hadn't been used in many, many years, was rotting actually. It brought $20.00. I didn't bid on it.

Well, this time the ad says a colony of bees is to be offered. We will go and check it out, but I suspect folks won't have a clue of the true value and will overbid.

#1. Are the bees healthy, I have no clue, I am a newbie.
    #2. Why is it selling? Was their a death and therefore it just isn't wanted anymore?
    #3. What condition is it in? I am not going to try to open it, without gear, and in a crowd and with all the microphones and all going.
    #4. This is truly buying a "pig in a poke".

Should a newbie even consider such a colony of bees?

Given all the unknowns what would a colony of bees, say the hive is in good repair, be worth?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The same amount you would be willing to put in a slot machine and hope for a payout.Buy a new hive body with frames, lid, foundation and bottom board. Get some protective gear.

Then do what this guy did.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/grd/1719890217.html

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Then, if you really want to get into it, buy a few more hives and put your name and info here. I get several calls a year here.

http://www.ebeehoney.com/swarmremovalmap.html

We also have a "find a beekeeper" forum here on the forum, so list your info there, too.

4. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

Many years ago, I bought alot of beekeeping equipment, an odd assortment of new stuff at an auction, but never used it.

It was new stuff still in the boxes, not even assembled. It has been stored for years in my barn loft, still not assembled. I had no clue what to do with it. But, now I am reading and learning.

I find one super is still really strong, looks fine, but the frames have seen better days. A few pieces look fine, for replacements as needed later on.

I repeat it has never been used at all. But, it is dirty from being there so long, with bales of hay in and out, and various stuff, it just was shoved back in the corner. Looks like termites got the wooden frame pieces. Or mice chewed them, or both. I found a black snake curled up near it too, so it has been visited alot, but not by bees.

I thought, I might could order a beginner beekeeper set up, which is only one box with all the stuff, then can I use this super with it? The super looks fine. Just nothing in it, no roof, no bottom boards. Oh and I still have the smoker after all these years, it was not in the barn, it was in the storage shed.

With these never being used, could they still have disease or pests that are harmful to the bees?

In your link, I clicked on my state and found a swarm catcher person not far away, I wonder if he has extra bees? Would that be a way to go?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The wood in the barn is fine. Clean it good and dip it in clorox water, 1/2 cup to 5 gallon water. Or even wash it in the clorox water. Then let it air for 48 hours minimum.

The smoker should be fine. I don't recommend the kit. There are things you need that aren't included and things included that you don't need. Just make a list of the things you need and order those only.

Once you get bees, you will start to see much better what you need and when.

6. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

Thanks, Iddee,
    Now to figure out what I need! Back to reading!

I will call off his planned trip to the estate auction, it isn't near by anyhow, and not alot of other things of interest listed.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

iddee writes:
    The same amount you would be willing to put in a slot machine and hope for a payout.

tecumseh:
    dang good one iddee. you do have quite a talent for hitting the nail directly on it's head.

on the other hand...Richard Taylor made the statement that he had never bought much bee keeping supplies new but bought much of his equipment via farm and estate sales.

8. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

I think the difference is: Experience!

Lots of things are different when you are experienced and when you are a beginner.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would go to the auction just to see if there was anymore bee keeping gear.

Never know, you could be the only bidder.

I bought a pick-up load of used shallow and deeps with a bonus of an established hive for the grand total of five bucks! I was the only bidder.

G3

10. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

You are right. I have lucked out and gotten some really good buys at auctions. Like all the boxes of bee stuff that sat in my barn for 15 years! I gave $1.00 per box for it all. Too bad I never used it. But I still have the smoker in good condition, so still not a complete loss.

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I went to one auction and bought 3 long bed pick up loads of deep shallow and medium boxes many with new assembled frames and foundation for $5.00. a fellow approched me about a set up for one colony of bees so I sold him 2 deeps and 2 supers with used drawn comb, I told him to get rid of for $5.00 so my loads were free except for the fuel of getting them home.
    another time I bought 2 truck loads of queen line jars with lids a trailer load of deeps and mediums and some new frames a pile of queen excluders and a second trip for the remaining hive bodies for $5.00, and a kelley wax melter for $10.00

estate sales here in Michigan means the owner died and the stuff has to bwe sold off to settle the estate due to no will.

:mrgreen: Al