Bees Balling on SHBs

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Oct 4, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I checked my bees today to see if they needed another super. I set the inside cover aside and when I went to pick it up I noticed the bees were balled around something so I blew on them a bit and it turns out they were aggressively attacking a SHB. I have seen them chase the beetles around but they were flat out trying to kill this one. I have had no luck with SHB traps so I tore my hive apart and killed every one I could find. I did this every few days for about a week and now I rarely see them anymore. It looks like the girls were trying to heat it to death. Has anyone else seen this behavior? :dontknow:

2. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

I've seen them corral them and even bite at them but have not seen them ball them. Them seem like some real good bees. Let us know if they are successful at killing any they've balled.

...JP

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I have seen them chase the beetles around but they were flat out trying to kill this one. I have had no luck with SHB traps so I tore my hive apart and killed every one I could find.

tecumseh:
    sounds like the kind of bee behavior that you make you think... that is definitely a keeper.

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Get a video next time. You could market these as "SHB resistant" bees. ;)

I've seen bees attack SHB many times. But never balling to the point that the bees were "heating" them to death.

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

it seems to me that the reson they have so much trouble with SHB is cause the beatle squats down an they cant get under them to do damage.....is there a way around that...hmmmmmm

6. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Yeah, it would be great if the girls could do more about the SHBs. My hive looks pretty beetle free but I think it had to do with me killing as many as I could for about a week. The girls have cleaned up the hive, took down a lot of the burr comb and they have capped almost all the honey. They sure know winters coming ;) .

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the up side of the extremely dry weather here is that we have had almost no small hive beetles this years. past years experience has suggested to me that hives that proplize heavily also resist the hive beetle the best. on a couple of occasion I have concluded that split bottom bars (langstroth type frames) are to be avoided. I now only buy solid bottom bars for my frames.

8. rast

rast New Member

And that is also why I no longer scrape out the corners of my hive body's.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

they cant get into cracks if there arent any....why again is it bad to poly the inside of a hive box ??? How do the causican bees (cant spell ) do with SHB...they are spose to propalize bigtime...what would happen if you calked the plasticell inserts into the frames with melted bees wax ???

10. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I was watching the door this morning and my bees were chasing SHBs out the door. When the beetle tried to turn back in to the hive, more bees would join in to help push it out. I have to take it as they know winters coming and they have to get their house in order. Its fun to watch as well.