Bees "Bearding" in Heat, I am new at this,oh dear.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by merrysee, Jun 28, 2012.

1. merrysee

merrysee New Member

So I noticed my bees "bearding at the hive entrance this evening. It was 99 here today, and will be around 105 the next few days. i was trying to reserach this--- I just started this hive, my first one ever--- Should I be concerned that they'll swarm?? What do I do if they do swarm?? Their hive is located up in a tree house, there is plenty of shade and a nicely running stream directly below them. What can I do to prevent them from swarming?? THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Bearding and swarming are two very different things. When it is too hot in the house you go sit out on the porch to cool off. Nothing to worry about.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

merrysee,
    like g3 said:
    "Bearding and swarming are two very different things. When it is too hot in the house you go sit out on the porch to cool off. Nothing to worry about."

what you are describing is bearding. bearding is normal for the temps you are describing, they are all out on 'the front porch', cooling off. do you see bees facing the hive and fanning their wings during the day? they are cooling the hive. just make sure they have adequate ventilation, if you have an entrance reducer on, remove it and this will aid in ventilation.:grin:

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Don't worry, enjoy the sight and take pictures. Amazing how these little creatures can adapt to their environmental changes. :thumbsup: