Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed bees in my one of two hives are bearding at the entrance. During the day they are around the entrance moving back and forth. The best analogy I can use is like a vacuum cleaner.

Right now its late evening and raining, but they are still out. Any thoughts on why? Are they getting ready to swarm? Hive to hot, poor circulation?

I added a super this morning to give them some room as this was a strong hive, but it hasn’t done anything as yet. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
They are probably cooling the hive - solid bottom board?

I noticed bees in my one of two hives are bearding at the entrance. During the day they are around the entrance moving back and forth. The best analogy I can use is like a vacuum cleaner.

Right now its late evening and raining, but they are still out. Any thoughts on why? Are they getting ready to swarm? Hive to hot, poor circulation?

I added a super this morning to give them some room as this was a strong hive, but it hasn’t done anything as yet. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated.
View attachment 10540

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
Yes! There is a solid bottom board. Should I be looking to change this?
Not necessarily. Bees have been air conditioning their hives for thousands of years. Most Texas beekeepers, including pros, use solid boards, I use screened, personal choice

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can also just put a couple of pennies or a nickel on each corner above and below the inner cover which will help with ventilation during the hottest months. In the winter putting two pennies on two top corners of inner cover will help reduce condensation which can be very detrimental to bees when it’s cold. The thickness of a nickel is all that’s needed to make a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts