Bees being atracted to light.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by syawar08, Jun 15, 2016.

1. syawar08

syawar08 New Member

Hey guys! I have a question and hope that anyone among you is gonna answer me. Can anyone please tell me; why do bees revolve around street lights, bulbs etc, when it's dark? Are they aggressive at that time, I mean when I turn on my mobile's flash light and a bee flies to me, will she sting me?

Thank you

2. camero7

camero7 Member

yep, good way to get stung using light in the hive at night, plus you'll get the crawlers. Bees around street lights generally are not aggressive.

3. syawar08

syawar08 New Member

Thanks @camero7, but do you have any information, as of why do bees revolve around lights?

4. camero7

camero7 Member

[h=1]Why are honey bees always attracted towards tube light at night and is there any method to stop them?[/h]

Sachin Hegde, Student of entomology..3.1k Views

Most of the insects are phototrophic, May be positively or negatively. This attraction varies from insect to insects with intensity, wavelength or what we call as colour of the light source. Insects blindly think that light source could be a food source or they come to eat the other insects hovering around light.
    Here, like all other insects honey bees are positively phototropic towards white and yellow lights. your tubelight is the one. But bees come to light to get the heat at night.. Usually those bees are worker bees who have forgotten the way to their nest, or drones which are pushed out from the colony after their mating with queen. it is their natural tendency and you can't stop them from doing that.

5. syawar08

syawar08 New Member

Thanks for the info