bees bringing Pollen -- Does it mean that the queen is there

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CentralPAGuy, Mar 12, 2010.

1. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

Just curious -- I have not yet done any examinations to the bees inside my hive. But would it be a good sign that the queen exists if the bees are bringing in pollen? Thanks.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is a good sign that there is likely open brood in there, meaning there was a queen within the last few days. It is not a definite, tho.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Look at it this way....if you see pollen coming in, it is a good chance you have a laying queen. If you see no pollen coming in, it is a good chance you don't have a good queen.

It allows you to focus on, or at least open the ones that raise red flags, and you can be more efficient with time and tasks.

I know if I'm visiting a yard, and I see hives as follows...pollen, pollen, pollen, pollen, no pollen, pollen, pollen. I may not of come to open every hive on that particular trip. But it is in my best interest to perhaps take a quick peek at the hive that is bringing in no pollen. Chances are, there is something wrong.

This really helps you focus on just those needing some attention. And when all hives have three or four supers on, this is a good thing. :thumbsup:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as Bjorn relates pollen coming in the front door is just one of several signs you should look for first before doing any kind of internal examination. this translate into not disturbing hive that have no problem and more time to deal with the ones that do. I look at it as the beekeepers form of triage.

5. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

This makes sense. I had three hives in my backyard and two were heavily bringing in pollen. When I looked, I found a very tiny cluster of bees along with a queen that I might have injured when I took the hive apart. The reason I saw so much activity was that it was being robbed.