Bees building comb under inner cover

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Mar 12, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Need some advise from ye wise beeks out there. Today was - no kidding - the first Saturday I have been able to get out to my bees and take the shims off from the dry sugar feeding. I got it off all my hives - except one - and sure enough I had one hive that built comb underneath the inner cover filling up the shim . :cry: I was hoping to get to them before they did that. So what do you guys suggest I do? Just go out there and peel all that comb off the inner cover? This is a two hive body and one super hive - I probably didn't need to put sugar on them but I did.

In fact I only had one hive that ate all the dry sugar. I still had sugar left on all the others and they were NOT HAPPY that I took it off! You would think these bees would be in a goot mood today - as it being 70 degrees - but NO WAY!!

We have spring break from school March 22, Can I wait that long to reverse my hive bodies?? Do I need to split at that time or wait??? I think I am going to split a few hives and let them make their own queens this time. Never done that before.

2. rast

rast New Member

Yep, happens to me every time I use a shim for patties. Some hives are worse than others. In my location it's usually drone brood and honey. I usually just break the prop lose and give it a twist. Then use my hive tool to scrape it off the frames and cover into a bucket. Lots of smoke to lose as few bees as possible. Some will use a fishing line or something else to cut it loose, I'm not that patience. Got to cut it off anyway.
    Reversing kinda goes along with splitting to me. As IDDEE say's, don't mess with the brood until no long cold spell or freeze chance. You can probably reverse earlier as long as there isn't bees clustered in both boxes, one clustered frame directly above the other. If they are all moved up, anytime weather permits.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the bottom box is not empty, I would not reverse, and it sounds like it isn't.
    As for splitting, when you find swarm cells is the best time. Maybe even a 3 way split then. Be sure you move the queen to another stand, leaving the original location to raise the new queen.

4. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I did what rast suggested and it was mostly honey & drone brood - or it looked like that anyway - BIG larvae. And they were NOT happy, glad I suited up and had the smoke, but I had to do it.

When I am off on spring break, I am going to go through my hives pretty thorough, and I may do it next weekend if the weather permits. I just know they are up in that 2nd hive body and probably in that top super I had on some. That is how it was last year, and I'll reverse to give them some room.

I had only one hive that ate all the dry sugar and even the paper was gone like I didn't even put any on them. So that was a hive that would have starved. Should I feed it? The others didn't eat all their sugar, in fact, some had quite a bit left. And I saved that too! I know a person shouldn't feed unless they feed all. Right now I just put two top feeders out here in the yard sitting on a couple of 5 gal. buckets and put sugar syrup on them, and the bees are really feeding from it. So maybe that hive is feeding from it too. However, we have some spring flowers blooming now, and I am seeing the bees bring in pollen.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just be sure you have the top feeder covered so they won't get in it and drown.

I would remove all shims if you haven't already done so.

6. milapostol

milapostol New Member

We had a hive that built comb from the inner cover. We hadn't filled it in the box completely with frames, so they had space to do that. We cut the comb out and rubber banded it to frames.

7. Tia

Tia New Member

Jeez, Iddee, thanks for that. Makes perfect sense, but I hadn't really thought about it and probably wouldn't have done it that way if you hadn't made the light bulb come on in my head. Was in the hives yesterday and 3 of the 4 are booming. I'm waiting on the swarm cells which are sure to come any time now and then I'll do the splits. Thanks again. You always come through for me.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you move the queen from the original site, it makes the hive think it swarmed, thus killing the impulse. Also, all the foragers go back home, thus giving more bees to the one that is going to have a break in the brood cycle.

9. Tia

Tia New Member

Yeah, I figured that out from your statement, but never would have thought of it had you not stated it! Thanks again!