Bees Came Home

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Fredo Batali, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

:yahoo: I was at home today finishing up the yard work when my wife came up the driveway and jumped out of the car saying "Honey!, there's a swarm of bees up at Charlies." I dropped what I was doing and put an empty hive body and frames in my truck and headed up to Charlies. Charlie was my neighbor, he passed away last September. He gave me a couple of hives before he died and only one had bees in it. The hive was weak and didn't make it through the winter in spite of my best efforts. I removed all the frames from the hive and cleaned them up, put them back and forgot about the hive. I lost a hive in early April and posted here about the mystery. One week thriving hive the next week one dead bee in the hive?? Long story short, I used the hive at charlies and the one in the garage to catch the swarm. I've never seen anything like it. Bees marching into their new home by the hundreds. I'm very excited to have a second hive again. BTW the package I put in in mid April is doing great. :thumbsup:

De Oppresso Liber

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well done!
    Nothing like the first time catching a swarm. The "march" is fun to watch as it usually indicates that all is going well and the catch is a success.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good job on the catch, glad to hear your bees are doing good.

5. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I'm sure your neighbor Charlie, may he RIP, was pleased too.

6. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm sure Charlie is smiling. In his later days he was confined to the house and couldn't get out to take care of things. After he passed the folks I lease this house from bought his place, which expanded the place to 30 acres. I actually own a home in Vancouver, WA but work for a GC (20+ years now). Been on the road for the last 15 years! We were fortunate to land several major contracts with the refineries in this area. I've been on these 20 acres going on seven years now. We just started an eighteen month project near Ferndale, WA. Quite a good stretch.

De Oppresso Liber