Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerned that the honey stores were on the low side, I've been supplementing with winter patties. When I recently checked on if I needed to add more I saw that the bees were clustered on top of the patties which are on top of the frames, with a spacer and then inner cover. I'm wondering if being clustered at the top like that might cause a moisture issue: being so close to top they'll be right where any moisture might rise and accumulate.
Would it be wise to add a shallow, then inner cover and top cover?
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe you are in upstate NY and probably up to your neck in snow right now like the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo, NY. I'm in NE Ohio but pretty darn cold but the snow seems to be holding off for now. In your situation, I would be concerned about removing anything to expose the bees to the cold. I think I would just add at least 2 inches of insulation on top of the outer cover to keep the cold from hitting the warm area where the bees are and causing condensation. I have 2 inch foam insulation on the inside of my outer cover and anther 2 inches of foam insulation on top of the outer cover. Some hives have a quilt box and some don't. They all have empty sugar boards on them because I plan to toss in the sugar brick much later, probably January so that they don't pass up their honey stores now to get to the sugar. That's my game plan anyhow but who knows if I will get a warm day to go in and do that. Finger's crossed!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts