Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last week or so I've noticed my two strong hives clustering around the entrance in the afternoon and evening, sometimes beginning to hang down off the bottom board and today actually blocking off the entrance to one of the hives. At first I though it may be due to hot weather, but today was rainy (finally!!!) and 70 degrees (blessed relief). So I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on this bit of bee behavior? Too crowded? Both hives had a few empty frames in their brood boxes and both full and empty supers above an excluder.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
What you are describing is bearding. Hot weather causes some of the bees to hang out on the porch to allow more room inside for ventilation.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Bearding, nothing to worry about, shows you have a strong hive. When it is too hot in the house you go out on the porch to cool off.

If the super above the excluder is empty they will more than likely not cross it to store honey. Move a couple of frames of drawn comb and honey above it to motivate them to cross the excluder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts