Bees committing mass suicide??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Clover Queen Bee, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Clover Queen Bee

Clover Queen Bee New Member

I have a wire mesh floor, onto which the bees were clinging to the underside... ie. the outside... huddling up into a ball, and then subsequently dying due to the cold nights... whats going on?

Also... any ideas on how to prevent the bees drowning in the syrup solution when I am filling it up. I have a feeder that stands on the top of the crown board...

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Feeder Type

Can you confirm the feeder type ?

Sounds like a tray feeder ---- Miller or Ashforth ? Doesn't sound like a contact (tub) feeder. Could be a circular dish feeder as described by Mosti and Perry ---- central access.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Using this type of feeder, when the bees are down at the bottom because it is empty, I fill it slowly, allowing the bees to move up and out of the way. Rare to find even 1 drowned bee using these.

Feeders 004.jpg Feeders 005.jpg

As far as the bees under your screened bottom board, if it's not too hot simply close off the screen and they will find their way back to the cluster or colony.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Is your entrance to constricting or plugged and the bees have a difficult time making it back in the entrance and congregating at the screen because of being attracted to the queen pheromones? Check that ther is not a small hole in the screen that will allow the bees to exit but not return. They could be oriented to an one way exit. As Perry suggested close of the bottom screen.