Bees dead ouside hive in Rhode Island in July

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Harold InDelicato, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Harold InDelicato

Harold InDelicato New Member

Hello,

I was hoping someone could advise.

It rained here in RI for the past two days and became chilly. I went to inspect my hive (Italians) after the rain and saw hundreds of bees dead and dying outside the hive. I opened the hive and inspected the super and into the deep hive body. Everything seemed fine. (I am a non-intrusive beekeeper and try to disturb them as little as possible.) There were thousands of bees present in the hive. I did not locate the queen and I did not inspect the brood because of the burr comb and the fact that I was ripping up the honeycomb (dripping honey into the body). But I am worried about all of the dead bees. The wings on the bees were fine, no K shape, no crumpled wings. There were no mites. There was one (1) indication of yellow/brown on the screen outside the hive (I put the screens to prevent robbing) but I don't think it is Nosema. My other hive (Carniolans) are fine. The bees on the ground were decapitated but this could have been done after by ants and Yellow Jackets (wasps). The presence of Yellow Jackets was minimal. They were still falling from the landing board while I was inspecting and then dying in the grass. I am afraid that this is pesticide related but why just the Italians and not the Carniolans? The hive seems healthy. Is there anything I can do? What do I do next? I know I have to locate the queen and tear the frames apart to inspect the brood but I'd rather just leave them alone. Could I do anything to save them even if I tear apart the hive? I have photos that I have attached. ANY advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      626.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      112.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      287.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      313.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      193.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      418.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      451.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      452.9 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      674.7 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      985.8 KB
      Views:
  2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

I came home one day from being away for a few days and found the same thing..I checked the hive and all was good..what looks like alot of bees in the whole picture was not..you can scoop up the dead bees and put them in a jat of rubbing alcohol and send them off for free to the USDA( ill try to find the address) and they will do testing on them to find out what killed them and they send you a report..I did this the year I lost my nuc and it ended up being mites...since finding the bunch of dead bees outside my hive it hasnt happened again, its been almost a year..

Harold InDelicato likes this.