bees died...3 days later alive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Funnyfarm, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Funnyfarm

Funnyfarm New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum looking for an answer to a puzzling question. We had a nasty wind/ rain storm a week back or so I went out after it was all over to check on my bees and they were all dead queen included. The bees are down near my greenhouse and i happened to be down there 3 days later and BAM many bees happily flying about busily doing what it is they do. I opened the box and all the dead ones from before are still dead.
    My question is did more hatch and will they make a new queen? I fed them they are eating and seem OK. Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Yes, I agree. Robbing from another hive, or feral colony.

4. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

Yup robbers. Hey if your deadout attracts robbers for long enough, and is a better place to live then anywhere else around your area, you may attract a swarm. Although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

5. Funnyfarm

Funnyfarm New Member

any way to find this feral colony or convince them that my hives are a better place to be?

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yes, beelining.

A couple of other thoughts... soak the dead queen in a vial of rubbing alcohol to make your own swarm lure... if you have access to a queen (doubtful this time of year) and there are enough robbers, shut them in with the new queen and see if they take to their new home in about 3 days or so. Probably not but you never know.

7. rast

rast New Member

Sorry to hear about your bees.
    Another thought, if they are robbers (and I also think they are), when they swarm, if they do, they may very likely come there. Keep a box with some comb in it there.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a small short warning...

bees in a cluster early in the spring when the weather is still cold may appear to be dead when it fact they are still quite alive. this typically (this times I have witnessed it) is a combination of cold temperature and insufficient diet. if you are beyond the coldest portion of the year you may even on occasions raise the dead with just a bit of sugar water spray. add a singular frame of uncapped feed once the cluster has begun to move.