bees died upon emerging?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by d.magnitude, Oct 1, 2010.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I've had all kinds of "fun" dissecting this shaken hive. I've learned all about laying workers and wax moths, counted (and smashed) small hive beetles, and now this...

I've noticed a few (just 2-3) instances of this in separate places in the hive. It looks like a bee was just emerging from its cell, and died. I thought perhaps a wax moth got to him (drone, of course) as he was emerging, but I clearly see a wax moth trail nearby that does not intersect with this cell. Is this a symptom of some disease I'm not aware of, or is it just maybe a stress related issue?

Thanks, Dan

ps- honestly, it has been a good learning opportunity, and I'm happy to have a couple more experiences under my belt so I know what to do next time. It's kind of a drag to find some problem, and not know what to do until you run home and research it on the internet for a couple hours ;)

Attached Files:

2. beehandler

beehandler New Member

if the weather is cool there, the bees may have moved elsewhere in the hive,covering worker brood. they may have abandoned the drones,letting them chill, here (in n.c. ) the bees are pulling drones and larvae out of the hive by the hundreds. i've noticed the workers are eating some of the larvae also.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the boy bees are so hopeless when left to themselves....

they require assistance in getting out of their cells and they need to be fed quite early if they are to survive. colder temperatures could also be a small part of what you have noticed.

snip..
    'I've had all kinds of "fun" dissecting this shaken hive.'

tecumseh:
    good that is what it's all about anyway. it appears you are learning something from this dead hive... so all is not lost after all.