Bees eating potting soil

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by srvfantexasflood, Jun 30, 2012.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

In this heat, my bees are staying closer to home. As I commented in another post, the bees have made a drinking fountain out of my back porch homemade fountain. I have a potted plant in the fountain. It appears that they are slowly eating/removing the potting soil from around the roots of this potted plant. I know someone will know why they are doing this. This is the first I've seen this kind of behavior. It seems as though I've heard of it, but don't know why.
    I also find it interesting that the birds and squirrels have stopped visiting the fountain since the bees have moved in. I've made other arrangements for the birds and tree rats...I mean squirrels.
    Any thoughts?

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Moisture/water, bees prefer "dirty" sources of water.

3. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I find my bees in my garden drinking the standing water after I sprinkle. They have a creek full of clear water about 40 yards away and I never see them getting water from there. As soon as the sprinkler stops they come to drink from the mud puddles. I also see them just walking around on the soil. They never fail to stump me.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would guess bees get water from the mud, but the unseen mud dauber is removing it from the pot.

5. Dakine

Dakine New Member

I've tried all different ways of getting clean water to my bees with no luck. Seems like they do like "dirty" water. Had one of my automatic chicken watering bowls set up with super clean water with various fhings floating and the bees end up getting the water from muddy puddles under it!!
    I'm afraid to go check my neighbors swimming pool!! It's over a 1/4 mile away but it may be a watering hole! I've no idea how far they roam?

6. Omie

Omie New Member

The bees are after the many minerals in 'dirty' water. :)