bees finaly started on the spanish needles

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Sep 7, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i have been trying to figure out what they have been feeding on the last few weeks...they have been hitting the elephants foot but only sporaticly...they are really on bottle brush right now but i dont have any around me to speak of...i did finally after 2 weeks of watching, see my bees on some of the spanish needles...but not alot...they have to be eating/collecting something...i see them come in with little loads of white pollen but not alot....whats the news...is it like this everywhere ???

2. rast

rast New Member

Spanish needles just now opened in enough volume to attract them here. Never paid attention to the pollen color. By the way, when you start seeing a burnt orange to red pollen coming in, its the Primrose Willow in the swamps with the yellow flowers.

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

yea...there are some down the road....is it true that the primrose willow has a bad tasting honey....some button bush is blooming too....which is odd because it bloomed here months ago...spanish needles are everywhere an i was begining to think the bees were gonna pass em up this year....but just in the last few days they started in on them...not just here either...the partridge peas are plentiful in hernando an pasco but mostly gone around me...again pasco an hernando are full of them an the bees are on em....they are nutz on the bottle brush....i just cant figure the golden rod...in citrus they were on it bigtime....here an in hernando i havent seen a bee on it...maybe they'll get to it later....whats left to bloom this year...asters are soon arent they ????

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Been so dry here i haven't seen any spanish needles. :confused: Jack

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Now thats dry...i hope that next year is a good year...i started beekeeping on an off year...i got bout 12 little jars of honey an that was it...its my first year as a beek but i heard most of us have had a bad year with the dry weather....i wanna see what a good honey year is like....id like to have 30 acers of bottle brush trees right now...they're really thick on all the ones ive seen in the last month.

6. rast

rast New Member

To me and others, yes.
    Can bloom more than once a year.
    Not here, everyone hates them, use to be, the groves were full of them this time of year. Now the groves are hay fields and fence lines are sprayed with herbicide.
    Bees won't touch the Golden rod here either. Starved a hive to death one time on it.
    No asters here?