Bees Galore

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 20, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Went to get some brood and bees( from my nortern bee yards) for the 10 queens coming tomorrow. Well 3 of them had swarm cells, i brought back enough frames with queen cells to make five nuc's, and only enough brood for 4 of the new queens.I only took six nuc's and a deep hive with me,( that's all i could get on with my other equipment) so now i have to make another 120 mile round trip. It was cloudy and cool, the girls weren't flying much and in a bad mood, took seven hits three up my pant leg :shock: .For the new beekeepers, this is what happens when you lean a frame of bees against the hive on the ground and on the side your working, put the frame on the other side of the hive, unless you want to dance :mrgreen: . Jack

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Or when you drop a frame on your foot... or when leaning the frame against the side of the hive you put your foot through it... or... you know what? I better quit now before scaring off new beekeepers... lol.

Sounds like your bees are doing well... it's been a heck of a good year for bees so far in my neck of the woods too. :yahoo:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack I can just see you now out there doing the happy dance :yahoo:

Ben it sounds like you have been doing the happy dance also, sometimes I just break out dancing around the hives too...............funny how bees make so many folks so happy they just want to dance around.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Went through two strong hives here at home yesterday, to try and find enough brood for some of these queens. Well i found swarm cells in one of them,so i got enough brood for three of the queens and enough to make three more nuc's from queen cells. :roll: If i had got the queens the first week of April like i had planned this would not have happened, and i would have marked this up as bad beekeeping, but maybe it's a little of both anyway. :eek: Jack

5. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I had to smile when I read this. How many of us have done things around the bees that made us say DOH later? I raise my hand...

6. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

sounds like I need to get my ads in the paper. Mine aren't ready to swarm yet. I did do a pretty good job of checkerboarding them though. Sounds like a good job for monday.

Free bee swarm removal. Established colony removal only if no construction involved. No tree hive removal. call ###-####

yep I can get that in under 20 words.