bees gathering on landing board

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by tscott, May 27, 2010.

1. tscott

tscott New Member

I"ve had my two hives for about 8 weeks now and so far, everything has been fine. I went into the hives this morning to have a look around. The bees have not moved into the upper box yet and I'm a little worried about them having too much space to defend. My other conern is this: I went out around 8 tonight and noticed a very large number of bees gathered at the entrance and the landing board of each hive. Are they too hot or is there something else going on?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Do you have an excluder on the hive?
    Do you have 10 frames in one box and 9 in the other?
    It sounds like there is an obstacle to them getting into the top box. If not, put a couple of popsicle sticks or similar under the inner lid, to give better ventilation.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sometime a drawn frame (or two) placed in the upper box acts as good bait to draw the bees upward.

since I 'typically' run 9 frames in a ten frame lang hive when the bottom box is pulled (I do run 10 frames when starting from new foundation) I simply pull one frame upward when I reduce the bottom box to 9 frames.

ventilation and a top entrance might also be useful.... in the hot weather coming they are essential.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

assuming the bees are spread out in the frames on bottom brood chamber( 10 ) frames and assuming that you have a few frames of sealed brood, I always had great sucess in having the bees readily move up into foundation by moving a frame or two of sealed brood up into the new brood chamber and replacing the moved one with foundation. Bees will readily draw out the foundation on the one you added below, hatching bees and brood comb upstairs will attract bees from the bottom. It is a bit unusual that they won't move up on their own, ventilation is nessicary especially in the hot summer monthes, I have often provided a upper entrance by placing a wedge in between the inner cover and hive body, or between brood chamber and first super ( above the queen excluder ). The girls will bypass the brood nest entirely to enter colony with stores. I have in really strong colonies staggered the supers a bit to create several enterances for the bees to get to upper honey supers, again works ONLY if colony is really strong, and needs to be " unstaggered " when honey flow is over and possibility of robbing. Know the girls will surely propolize the narrow sides of the wedges entrance you create but hive tool and elbow grease fixes that.
    Barry :drinks:

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Bees on the veranda when it is hot is not unusual. It has been about 80F here, and my one hive (lower and upper entrances, and top shimmed for ventilation, but in the sun until about 3pm) was bearding the other day. They were fanning away. My other hive has a screen bottom board, and I'm thinking I need to get those on all hives.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hobie, I think our bees would all refuse to stay without those screen bottoms! We didn't used to have enough of them for all the hives and the bees would just hang off the front of the hive so bad that it looked like a bee-waterfall.