Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been too warm here. We have a forecast windchill of 9 for Sunday, but today I watched bees checking out chicken feed, filter floss, anything that might be a flower, looking for pollen. Means the queens are laying or ready to. I put some pollen sub out this afternoon. Will post a pic when they find it. Always so funny when they get in there and get all covered with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here in Ohio, we are dealing with ugly weather of mostly rain and clouds with cold mixed in, so my bees aren't the least bit interested in going out and playing. Neither am I for that matter. I insulated my hive back in October when we got a fake start to a cold winter and now wonder if I did my hive any justice at all by doing so. I was gifted a pollen feeder by a mentor of mine, and I immediately ordered a 10-pound bucket of Ultra Bee pollen substitute from Mann Lake and plan to feed my bees the substitute in the Spring. I am waiting anxiously so that I can observe them getting all covered in pollen like kids playing in a sand box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm also zone 8 but we have had snow for the last 4 days (and the rest of the week), bees not flying....

·
Administrator
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My cold weather comes Saturday night and I am afraid my bees are not prepared for it.

Reactions: Wil

·
Registered
50 Posts
My cold weather comes Saturday night and I am afraid my bees are not prepared for it.
The only time I was in Texas was back in 1978 when I went to a PADI Scuba Diving instructor's school for 8 days in San Marcos. I thought just the food alone would give off enough heat to keep all of Texas warm all year.

·
Administrator
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only time I was in Texas was back in 1978 when I went to a PADI Scuba Diving instructor's school for 8 days in San Marcos. I thought just the food alone would give off enough heat to keep all of Texas warm all year.
We get snow we have 3 days max USUALLY. Snowpocalypse last year was a week and people died without heat, our electrical grid can't keep up with all the space heaters. We are simply not prepared for extreme cold. So we cook lots of hot foods to defend against winter

Reactions: Wil
1 - 6 of 6 Posts