Bees in hollow tree.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Aug 28, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Received an email just now that a lady and her husband just bought a home and found a hollow tree in the front yard has bees in it. They want them removed. Can they be removed this time of year and survive the winter? Or should I see if she will wait til spring?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Are they wanting the tree saved? If so, the only way to get them out is a trap-out and it is really getting late to start one. You could do a trap-out just to get as many bees for a boost to a weaker hive you may have or some other purpose, but I highly doubt they would survive a winter on their own. Theoretically, all their winter stores are in that tree.
    If they can wait I would opt for spring.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

THAT hive can't be taken out this year and saved.

You can take bees from the tree to boost another hive.

You can remove the tree stump to another location and take them out in the spring.

You can do a trapout in the spring and start a hive.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If the bees in the tree didn't bother them while they were shopping for the house, they obviously aren't that noticeable. Convince them, for the sake of the bees, to wait until spring. If they need any encouragement, you might point out bees are inactive (outside) when the temps drop and that there is a chance they'll die out on their own during the winter.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap...agree with the mature fellas :wink:. I have two crazy waiting on me for next year already...

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

They never emailed me back so who knows what their plans are for the bees. I'm crossing my fingers they will call me in the Spring. My goal is to get as many as i can.

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

A crazy8days snip:
    My goal is to get as many as I can.

A gunsmith snip: Isn't that what we all aspire to do?

A gunsmith obaervation: "Holy s#&t, where'd all these bees come from?" :lol:

Good luck.

;

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Cut the tree or wait till spring.

I got one of those last night, 30 foot in the air in a big knot hole. They want them gone, can not cut the tree down and not wanting to wait til spring. Oh yeah and wanting it done for free.....good luck!!

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Go over there with Vail, smoker and hive tool in hand along with a ladder hand them the tools and offer to hold the bottom of the ladder tell that is what for free gets them. Reasure them you will yell up instructions.

Do you have African bees in your area that people are apprehensive about. If so I can see people wanting them removed if not 30 ft up leave them be they won't bother anybody.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rolling: :lol: :rolling:

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

No african bees in Indiana I'm thinking. I like those free instructions!

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I would charge for bringing the ladder. :mrgreen:

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

This was in response to G3farms addition to the post an he hails from Concord, TN. So I didn't want to post a smart ass comment with out qualifying it.
    So where is the northern edge of the feral African calories in the states now?

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=11059&page=6

Pretty good link to where the AHB have been documented by the department of agriculture. There was a supposed case in the next county over from me, but it was blown plum out of proportion. I talked to a couple of keeps that actually went to the hive in question and they said they beat on the side of the hive and there was very little reaction. Another case of media over reaction.